In honor of the sweetheart's holiday, Valentine's Day, and because everywhere I turn around I see something that is supposed to be "better than sex" (my grandmother gave me a cake recipe called the same thing, it will come later this week), I have dedicated this week to all things labeled or named "Better Than Sex" Personally, I am not convinced, but I'll share these recipes with you.
My curiosity with the BTS (better than sex) label on all these things started a couple of months ago when I started to clean out my very old and disorganized recipe box. I noticed I had a couple of cake recipes that all had similar names, but very different ingredients. One cake was called Better than Sex (from my grandma), one was Better than Robert Redford (from an older teacher I worked with about 20 years ago), one was Better than Brad Pitt (from a younger teacher I worked with, but about 15 years ago). I know it will be time to throw my hat in when someone gives me a cake called Better than Justin Bieber! I then ran across a drink called BTS I'll share on Friday and now a Chex-Mix called BTS. So, a week of things that are BTS (I'm not going to take a poll at the end of the week to see if you agree if any of these things are BTS, really).
I made a big batch of this, put some in these heart boxes shown below and some in clear cellophane bags and added a pretty bow as a gift for co-workers. I didn't put the name on it, I do work in a school building after all, just a pink card with Happy Valentine's Day.
Better Than Sex Chex-Mix
from Quick Dish
- 8 cups Chocolate Chex® cereal
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, MINI size
- 1 cup MINIATURE marshmallows
- 1/2 cup caramel bits (found by the chocolate chips in the baking aisle -- or chop up regular caramels)
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup MILK chocolate baking chips (or more if you're a huge chocolate fan)
- 1/2 cup vanilla (white) chocolate baking chips
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- Into large microwavable bowl, measure cereal; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave on High 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.
- Make sure Chex mixture is cool to the touch (so candy doesn't melt.) Evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and miniature marshmallows over Chex mixture.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave caramel baking bits and cream uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle over snack. Repeat with milk chocolate baking chips. Repeat again with vanilla (white) baking chips. Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all while candy drizzles are still wet.
- Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container. Perfect for gift giving.