Thursday, June 28, 2012

Frozen Dog Treats


It is warm in Fairbanks.  I love it!  My husband, the Alaskan Man, starts to complain about the heat once it hits about 73ºF but I'm not warm until it hits 85ºF.  We have been having sunny, beautiful weather.  The dogs enjoy the sun too, but pretty quickly they move to the shade or inside the house where it is cooler.
A yellow lab and a golden retriever, can you tell which is which?

We shave the two golden retrievers for the summer.  It keeps them cool and rids the house of all the hair they shed.  We keep telling them how handsome they are, hoping if we say it enough they will believe it.  Lilly starts to think we have two new yellow labs like her.  They all are a little more frisky in the summer and play more, it's because of the haircuts.

I made this cool treat for the pups.  I love ice cream and juice pops so I thought the dogs might like a version of their own.  I saw two recipes on pinterest and adjusted for what I had at home.  This will be a cool treat that will be good for them too.  Such handsome dogs...
**Today is the last day to sign up for the Love with Food giveaway.  Just tell me your pet's name or what kind of pet you would like to have in the comments.  Drawing will be held Friday, June 29 at 4:00pm Alaska Standard Time.  I will contact the winner for an address to send the package to.

Frozen Dog Treats
This made 15 large dog treats and 6 small dog treats
2 cups yogurt, I used greek yogurt 'cus that is what I had
1 can (16 oz) organic pumpkin puree
1 banana
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
Dog  bones

Mix yogurt, pumpkin, banana, honey and peanut butter until smooth.  Portion into small bathroom size paper cups.  Top each cup with a dog bone, pushed 1/2 way into yogurt mixture.  Freeze.  To serve, tear paper off pops and serve outside (trust me on this).

Tips:
I threw everything into a bowl and used my electric mixer.  It worked like a charm.  Lilly wanted to lick the beaters but Dave would have had a fit!

I used a medium scoop (#40) and put two scoops in each cup for the big dogs, topped with a full bone and one scoop in each cup for the little dogs, topped with 1/2 bone.

Yogurt adds healthy bacteria to dog's digestive systems and pumpkin is full of fiber.  Don't go overboard feeding these to your dogs.  Give them one, wait a couple of days give them another to let their bodies get used to the beneficial bacteria and extra fiber (trust me on this one too).

Always check for dog food safety.  Dogs cannot/should not eat some foods safe for human consumption (like grapes, garlic, chocolate and onions). You can click here for a list from Web MD.

June 28, 2012     Daylight  21 hours,  39 minutes     Current Temp.  63ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.