Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pecan Crispies


Our friends and back door neighbors moved.  They pulled out yesterday, after a tearful goodbye and headed to a new adventure in Colorado.  They took their twin girls, our dogs are very sad.

I am happy for them (no, really I am, really).  A great opportunity waits for them in Colorado and they will be in the real world.  Mark really missed the real world, and an Alaskan winter is hard on a person.  Suzanne, with her ever cheerful smile and positive attitude, is a treasure.  I'll miss her sense of humor, her willingness to try new things, and her bold approach to every situation.

So, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today.  When I look out the kitchen window, the backdoor house is dark, curtains pulled, waiting for new occupants.  The weather is cold, overcast and gloomy, like me.    I decided to cheer myself up and make cookies.  So I did, and I'm stuffing my face with cookies and feeling sorry for myself.  I need to straighten up, Suzanne would not approve.

Pecan Crispies
1 c. butter
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. quick cooking oatmeal
1 1/2 c. crispy rice cereal
1 c. finely chopped pecans, toasted


In a large bowl cream butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla, beat until smooth.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal, and pecans.  Shape dough into four 8-inch long rolls.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Cut dough into 1/2 inch thick slices.  Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.  Bake 10-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen

September 20, 2012     Daylight 12 hours, 26 minutes, 48 seconds     Temp. 53ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.