O.k. Let's see a show of hands. How many of you watch Downton Abby? Wow! So many? I didn't discover D.A. until this year. My husband and I are watching from the beginning thanks to my friend, Michelle. We are half way through season 2 right now, so don't tell me what is happening in season 3.
We were so into the series that Dave wanted to watch ahead while I was traveling for work. Being the kind, considerate wife that I am I told him to go ahead, watch without me...and then I hid the DVDs (Yep, I'm kind like that).
Well, I did feel guilty before I left and got them out of the hiding place, but he, being the truly kind person he is, waited for me. We will get through season 2 before I have to leave for work again. I can't wait for Michelle to get her pre-ordered season 3 so I can borrow it!
I made this pear upside-down cake to use some of the pears from my February's fruit of the month box. The pears are delicious, the cake is o.k. If you need something in a hurry, this will do. It was fast and easy. That way I could get another episode of D.A. in before I went to bed.
Pear Upside-Down Cake
- cup butter or margarine
- cup packed brown sugar
- large pear, thinly sliced
- tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 1/2
- cups Original Bisquick® mix
- cup packed brown sugar
- cup milk or water
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- teaspoon vanilla
- teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream, if desired
Butter melting in the oven in my favorite cast iron pan.
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch round or 8-inch square pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange pear slices in single layer on sugar mixture; sprinkle with pecans.
- 2In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients except whipped cream with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pear slices and pecans.
- 3Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with whipped cream. Store cake loosely covered.
Cake, hot out of the oven. Upside-down cake, look at those caramelized pears, YUM!February 11, 2013 Daylight 8 hours, 7 minutes, 49 seconds Temp. H 7/ L -9 °F