Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Keto Hot Pockets


Monday nights are for football and soup and sandwiches.  Dave doesn't think soup is dinner so I add a sandwich to it and we have a casual dinner in front of the tv while we watch the Monday night game. And then I have left-over soup for lunch for the week.  We all win!

I hate the tv being on during dinner, but this is one exception I have compromised on, especially now that the kids are gone. My mom and dad listen to books on tape during their lunch.  I never understood why they would do that but I totally get it now, there just isn't that much new in my daily life, now that the kids are gone, and silent dinner isn't so fun.

This sandwich is like a hot pocket.  You could use regular dough like I do for stromboli, but I don't eat that anymore and for just Dave and I, I am only going to make one dough.  I use a fathead dough with coconut flour, roll it out and fill it with all kinds of things.  This week it was ham and some melty provolone cheese.  I paired it with a deconstructed cabbage roll soup and we had dinner.

Keto Ham and Cheese Hot Pocket

for the fat head dough:
1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 oz. cream cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder

to make hot pockets
1/4 cup spicy mustard
6 oz. lunchmeat of choice
4 slices cheese of choice

Preheat oven to 425°F.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt mozzarella and cream cheese until easily mixed.  Add egg, coconut flour and baking powder, kneed together until well incorporated.  Between two pieces of parchment paper, roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into 4 rectangles.

Spread mustard on 1/2 of each rectangle, dividing 1/4 cup evenly between the 4 rectangles.  Place 1/4 of the lunchmeat and cheese on each rectangle, dividing evenly.  Fold into rectangle and seal edges.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until dough is golden brown.
Serves 4


Deconstructed Cabbage Roll Soup

2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbsp. butter
3 cloves garlic
1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped
1 lb. sausage, I like spicy sausage for this
1 15oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
4 cups beef bone broth

In a medium stock pot melt butter and sauté celery and onion until onion is soft and translucent.  Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add sausage and brown, breaking up big clumps, about 6-8 minutes.  Add cabbage, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and bone broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Serves 4.

3 years ago:  Apple Fritter Bread and Feeling Ashamed of Myself
5 years ago:  Christmas Lists and Rice Krispy Treats
7 years ago:  Coquito, Drink of the Week

December 11, 2019  Sunrise 10:40 am  Sunset 2:45 pm  Temp. H 14/ L 8°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.