Monday, December 5, 2011

When life give you lemons, make meatball subs



Sunday was scheduled to be a very busy day.  I got up early, made cookies for a cookies exchange I was going to at 2:00, then meatballs for a celebration we were headed to at 4:00.  I had planned to post about the meatballs, made with ground moose, and how easy it was to make a big batch and freeze some for those nights I was running late at work or came home and just didn't feel like putting something together.  And then the rain started....
As I mentioned last week we have a Chinook blowing through Fairbanks.  The temperature is about 40º F above.  Now, that might seem wonderful, but to an environment that has been frozen at -40º F for the entire month of November, 40º F above is really not a gift.  First, the water that lands on the roads freezes into a solid sheet of ice, it can get inches thick, and next week when the temperature drops back to 20º F below or so there is no way to get the ice off.  We just have to wait for it to slowly evaporate and wear off with use.  Salt or solvents don't work at those temperatures.  Also, we lose our snow cover.  The snow really acts like a blanket for the ground and all the underground water pipes and such.  Without the cover water pipes freeze, septics freeze and back up, trust me it isn't a pretty picture.  There is also the issue with wildlife and their use of the snow to bed in for warmth and protection.  So, rain in December in Fairbanks is not a good thing.
As a result, both my parties were cancelled.  Now I have meatballs and cookies for dinner.
I had put a sweet barbeque sauce on the meatballs so I made an easy baguette to have with them.  We cut the baguettes in half, filled them with meatballs and watched the football game on t.v.  It was wonderful found time in a busy weekend.
I wonder how long it will rain?

Moose Meatballs

1 lb. ground moose (you can use beef)
1/2 lb. moose sausage (you can use pork)
1 Tbsp. olive oil (moose is very lean, omit if using beef)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 or 3 cloves minced garlic
1 small onion grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 tsp. oregano

Mix all ingredients together.  Mixing well without compacting the meat.  Shape into balls (I like small meatballs so I use a #80 scoop).  Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 400º F for 20 minutes or until centers are cooked completely through.  Let cool and use or separate into portions and freeze.  We use these in spaghetti sauce, stroganoff sauce, barbeque sauce, and spicy tomato sauce for sandwiches.
The second pan of meatballs waiting for the oven.


Sweet Barbeque Sauce
1 cup prepared barbeque sauce
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard

Mix all together, pour over meatballs.

Tips:
Everyone asks for these.  I take them a lot.  I put them in a  crock pot and keep them warm on low.  To serve, place single meatballs on a spoon then a platter or fill a bowl and put decorated toothpicks in several so people can take a few.  Refill the plate often so the meatballs are served hot.

December 5, 2011     Daylight  4 hours, 24 minutes, 12 seconds     Current Temp. 28º F

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was, "When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic" ????

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.