Friday, January 11, 2013

Vodka Martini for a hard week

Photo from All Recipes

It has been a hard week.  We said goodbye to the baby boy and his chick on Sunday evening, so I spent the rest of the night feeling very sorry for myself and I cried myself to sleep, only to wake up Monday with a headache.

Monday night we had dinner with Linda the last time before she left on her great adventure to her new home in Alabama.  I cried when I went home and cried myself to sleep, only to wake up Tuesday with a headache.

Tuesday evening we started de-Santa-tizing the house.  Dave took down the Christmas tree and I got a box of little santas put away.  I was tired, grumpy and sad.  Dave looked at the clock and noticed it was time for my favorite show, NCIS.

"Just go watch some t.v., honey.  Get your mind off things." he said.

I went up to watch Mark Harmon NCIS and just chill.

About 50 minutes later Dave walks up the stairs, only to find me crying.

"What's wrong?" he asked surprised.

"Zeva's dad died." I sobbed...

Yea, really.

Then Director Vance's wife died on the operating table...more crying.

I went to bed Tuesday crying, only to wake up Wednesday with a headache.

Wednesday, I wasn't allowed to turn on the t.v.  We had a quiet dinner in front of the wood stove and went to bed early.  Dave wasn't taking any chances.

So by now I am really tired, a little grumpy and I have the January blues.  It is dark, it is cold, the holidays are over and I'm going to start crying all over again.  And for all that, I need a good stiff drink.

Most of the time I really like girly drinks with fruit and sweet, but in the midst of January, I need a stiff, bracing, no frills drink.  I want a vodka martini.  Sometimes I add olives, sometimes I don't.  And this time I couldn't even be bothered to take a picture, so I got one off the internet! It was the only way Dave was going to make it through Thursday night with me.  Bottoms up!

Vodka Martini
Toni's way

2 oz cold vodka (I keep mine in the freezer)
1/2 oz. dry vermouth

Shake vodka and vermouth with lots of ice.  Shake well, strain into glass.  Add olives or a lemon twist (if you can be bothered).  Drink.

I only get one.

January 11, 2013    Daylight  4 hours, 48 minutes, 13 seconds   Temp. H 12/ L 3 °F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.