Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cob Salad and Putting up Wood

The rule at my house is that there has to be more wood put at at home than at moose camp.  Those boys really like their fire out there.  Since they leave for camp on August 31 and stay until about Sept. 25, or until they get the moose they want, they do go through a lot of wood.

Well, it is that time of year and I began to whine about the woodstove, so the "boys" spent several weekends getting wood cut, split and stacked for the winter.  We went through about 8 cords of wood last year, and I don't see us going through any less this winter.  They worked hard for several weekends, and now we have about 1/2 the wood we are going to need.
Dave is cutting the logs, the son and brother in law are splitting and stacking.
They were satisfied with our stock, for now.  They promise me I have more wood at home then they have at camp (I am doubtful).  But I don't go to camp so there is no way to prove it.
Our oldest son and brother in law in front, my husband in the background.  Hard, dirty work.

At the end of the day they were tired, dirty and hungry.  I  made Cob Salads with grilled chicken and made them eat on the deck.  No need to bring the woodpile in the house (or any part of it) any sooner than we really need to.

Cob Salad with Grilled Chicken

4 chicken breasts
3 heads of romain, chopped
4 hard cooked eggs, sliced
2 carrots, grated
4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
6 strips bacon, fried until crisp and chopped
1 avocado, sliced
4 small Roma tomatoes (there were from my greenhouse *big smile*), sliced

Pound chicken breasts until uniform in thickness.  Season with salt, pepper and other favorite seasonings (I like Mrs. Dash tomato-basil blend).  Grill on med. heat until cooked through.  Let rest.

Plate lettuce on 4 plates, dividing evenly.  Top with carrot, blue cheese, avocado, egg, and bacon in stripes across top of salad.  Slice chicken and place one chicken breast on top of each salad.
Serve with blue cheese dressing or favorite dressing.

August 28, 2013  Daylight 15 hours, 2 minutes, 2 seconds   Temp. H 61/ L 46°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.