Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Lemon Bars


I am tired.  Not the "I stayed up too late one night" tired but the tired to your bones and the "I can't deal with anything that throws me for a loop right now" tired (feel very sorry for my husband).

School is starting, so it is a very busy time at work.  There are a couple of really big frustrations at work with technology not working properly, so that makes it even worse.  We are working really hard to have everything up and running for students, and then technical difficulties get in the way. I left work Friday very frustrated after a long week, and very tired.

My mom had a special dinner request and I was also planning a dessert, very ambitious for a Friday, but they were leaving soon and I didn't want to disappoint her.  I ran into the store for a few things on my way home.  One of the things I needed for dessert was graham crackers.  I went to the cracker aisle and found the grahams.  There were two brands to choose from, the regular brand I usually buy and the store brand.  There were two flavors to choose from, honey and cinnamon sugar.  Well, I didn't want honey or cinnamon sugar so I looked and looked for the regular plain graham crackers.  There were none to be found, only honey and cinnamon sugar.

Well, that was it.  I had it, and I started to cry.  Nothing went right all week and now I couldn't even find stupid, plain graham crackers.  At this point of my upset, I began to have my own tropical vacations (a.k.a. hot flash, I am 51), and started stripping off as many clothes as I could and still remain somewhat decent.  There I stood, pulling off clothing, dripping sweat and tears, and muttering to myself about honey graham crackers.  At one point an older woman stopped and asked, "Are you o.k.?"
"Yes," I muttered, "just frustrated."
"I understand."  she stated and kept walking.
I left the cracker aisle and finished my shopping.

When I got home I checked my old box of graham crackers.  The brand is Honey Maid and on the box in small yellow letters it says, "honey grahams."  The new box has a big yellow honey comb that says HONEY.  Yep, they are the same, just a newly designed box.  Holy Cats.

So, I didn't make the recipe I had planned, I made lemon bars instead.  This recipe comes from the Bun on the Run cookbook my friend Katie gave me at Christmas, and while I will still go back and get the honey grahams for that other recipe, these were so much better than what I had planned.  These have a bright, in-your-face lemon flavor.  They are not for anyone except for those who love a good lemony-lemon bar.  You might cry when you eat these, but they will be tears of joy.

Lemon Bars
from Bun on the Run Cookbook

Crust:
3/4 cup butter
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 3/4 cup flour

Filling
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of one large lemon
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Line 9X13 inch pan with aluminum foil, leaving handles hanging over short ends.  Butter foil well.

Cream butter and sugar together, add flour and mix thoroughly.  Press into pan forming a 1/2 inch lip around the edges. The crust will be thin.
Bake about 13-14 minutes until golden.

Meanwhile, whisk eggs and 1 1/2 cup sugar.  Add lemon juice and lemon zest.  In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour.  Add flour to the lemon mixture.  Stir to remove all lumps, but do not beat.  Pour into pre-baked crust until set, but not browned, about 23-25 minutes.

Cool completely.  Remove bars from pan with aluminum foil handles, cut into squares.

August 21, 2013  Daylight 15 hrs. 49 min. 33 sec.  Temp. H 61/ L 40°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.