Friday, July 25, 2014

Choco Tacos and Saving My Husband's Life


When we were in Seattle for the curly-haired boys wedding, I saved my husband's life.  I probably deserve a medal of some sort, but I settled for making myself a Choco Taco.  This is how it happened...

We flew down to Seattle for the wedding and rented a car.  Neither of us have driven in Seattle much, and especially not to the areas we needed for the wedding, so a couple months earlier Dave asked if we should buy a Tom Tom or Garmin.  "No," I said wisely trying to save money, "We have Google maps on our phones and you can drive and I can navigate."  It sounded good.

So, back to we landed, we got the car, we headed out to meet the kids for lunch.  Google maps did o.k. and it was an area I was sorta used to, we only had to turn around and back track once.

Lunch was great, we said our good-byes, and headed to the grocery store before we drove out to the house we rented.  Google maps was not very helpful, the traffic was typical Seattle traffic, there was construction, and we had to back track about 4 times...the conversation in the car went something like this...

Me - turn here, turn Here, TURN HERE

Dave - I can't turn there it is a one way

Me - Not the one way, the road right after the one way, shit, now we've missed it

Dave - You didn't tell me fast enough

Me - Crap, you were supposed to take that last exit

Dave - Why didn't you tell me?  Now I have to turn around again

Me - Put your blinker on and just start moving into that lane, you can't be polite, we are in traffic

Dave - I'm not going to pull in front of an ambulance with it's lights flashing, Toni, I know how to drive

And then it deteriorated from there.

So, we finally made it to the local Krogers and I walked directly to the electronics section and said, "I need a Tom Tom."  Well, they didn't have a Tom Tom, but they had a Garmin and I bought the one with the biggest screen, because we are getting older.  It prevented me from beating my husband to death with my phone trying to find the house we rented. It was a good investment, and you see I saved Dave's life by spending that $150.00.

I was reminded that I saved his life when Dave asked where I put the Garmin once we got home.  And then I remembered I didn't get that medal for saving his life, or even a treat, and I deserved a treat.
So I made myself something.

I saw on Pinterest how to make Choco Tacos.  I loved these as a kid, and can't find them at my local grocery.  It just so happened I had all the ingredients to make them.  It was fun to make, I think I will make a batch and take to work for our next office pot luck and I'll tell everyone what a hero I am by saving my husband's life.

Choco Taco
makes 1

1 Keebler waffle bowl
ice cream of choice
2 Tbsp. chocolate chips
1/4 tsp coconut oil, optional
1 Tbsp. chopped nuts, I think original Choco Tacos used peanuts, I used salted mixed nuts

Wrap the waffle cone in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 15 seconds.  Carefully shape into a taco shape.  Let cool, it will firm back us as it cools.  Fill with ice cream of your choice.  Place in freezer for 15 minutes to firm.

Meanwhile, chop nuts and melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.  Add 1/4 tsp. coconut oil, if desired (it makes the chocolate smoother and easier to handle).

Remove taco from freezer and spoon chocolate over the top of the ice cream, chocolate will harden as it cools from the ice cream, dip or sprinkle chopped nuts over top, before chocolate is completely hard, pressing nuts into chocolate to securely stick. Place back in freezer until ready to serve, or just eat it right then like I did.

1 year ago:   Tilapia with Cilantro Pesto
2 years ago:  Chicken Pot Pie and Birds in the Chimney

July 25, 2014  Sunrise 4:27 am  Sunset 11:25 pm  Temp. H 59/ L 43°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.