Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Baked Oatmeal


Oh, I love oatmeal.  I eat is almost every day and I never get tired of it.  I tell my husband that is why my cholesterol is so low; he still won't eat it.  I found this on Pinterest and thought it looked delicious.  It is.  I cut it into 8 very generous pieces, it easily could be cut into 12 for kids, and it is a perfect grab and go breakfast.  With school starting, it might help make your mornings a little sweeter and a little smoother.

Ready to go into the oven.

Golden brown deliciousness.

The perfect breakfast.


Baked Oatmeal
adapted from Inspired by life blog

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup walnuts, coarse chop, divided
1 cup strawberries, slicked, divided
1 1/2 cups milk, I use almond milk
4 eggs
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, sliced

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Generously butter or spray a 9 x 13" baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix oatmeal,  sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 of the walnuts, and 1/2 of the strawberries.
In a medium sized bowl, mix milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour into pan.
Top oatmeal mixture with the rest of the walnuts, strawberries, and the banana.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and the center has set.
Let cool about 10 minutes, cut and serve with yogurt.

Other options: any type berry can be substituted.  I'm thinking blueberries and raspberries at Christmas.  The recipe I found adds 1/2 cup chocolate chips, but I'm not into too sweet in the morning, also you can sprinkle with more brown sugar if you like a sweeter breakfast.

I linked this to Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity, Homemade Mondays

1 year ago:   End of the Garden
2 years ago:  Banana Crunch Muffins

September 2, 2014      Sunrise 6:34 am  Sunset 9:04 pm  Temp. H 52/ L 34°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.