Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Beet and Orange Salad

I'm almost done with torture physical therapy. I don't care what anyone says, that much pushing and pulling on a person just can't be good.  First, I start with 10 minutes on a bike, so I'm hot and sweaty for the rest of the appointment, then the cute little therapist has me use these bands to push, pull, and stretch my muscles and legs.  I think she lays awake at night thinking of torturous activities for me.  And, if it isn't something that is going to hurt, it is something that is going to be hard and embarrassing...like trying to balance on one leg on this soft mat that makes you fall over, in front of everyone. Just to make the last couple of sessions special she is working on "loosening scar tissue" this entails her pushing as hard as she can on the very tender scar tissue across my hip and down my leg making me cry. (I don't care if Dave says she is hardly rubbing, he is lying).

So I decided I needed a treat.  And I saw these lovely beets at the store.  I don't care if I am the only one in my family that likes beets, everyone is going to eat them, because I'm thoughtful like that.  Besides, beets are good for you, and they are really delicious.  

I roasted these beets by washing them and then wrapping them in foil.  Threw them into a 350° F oven for 45 minutes and then let them cool.  I wore gloves and the skins just slip off, then I cut them into wedges.  If your store has more than one color beets, use  a combination.  The sweet beets, the citrusy oranges, the crunch of the walnuts and the greens were the perfect combination to put me in a better mood.

I might just have to make this again next week after my torture physical therapy.



Beet and Orange Salad
makes 4 salads

4 small beets, roasted, peeled and cut into bite-size wedges
1 orange, peeled and sectioned
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
8 cups mixed baby greens

Dressing
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. grated orange zest
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Whisk dressing ingredients together.  Put greens in a large bowl and drizzle dressing over greens, reserving about 4 tsp. for later.  (Sometimes I use all the dressing, sometimes I don't.  Use the amount of dressing that you like)
Divide greens between 4 plates, divide the beet wedges, orange sections and walnuts among the 4 salads.  Drizzle with reserved dressing.

1 year ago:    Music for the Pug
2 years ago:  Birthday Soap Ball and Chocolate Waffles
3 years ago:  Rain Days and Hot Chocolate Peppermint Affogato
4 years ago:  Lemon Drop Martini

January 26, 2016   Sunrise 9:56 am  Sunset 4:11 pm  Temp. H 22/ L 18°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.