Thursday, February 25, 2016

Jerk Pork Loin


We are back in our routine around here.  I'm back to work and driving myself now.  The Baby Boy is back in school, the Chick is working and Dave is working...just making it through another February.

I was headed to work this morning, running a little late, drinking my protein shake I made with blueberries and spinach, and turning the corner....and spilled the entire shake down my front.  Purple, icy drink right down the cleavage and soaking into my pants.

I turned the corner and headed through the parking lot of the bank that sits there, turned around and headed home to change.  That's what I get for trying to drink and drive!  It was a little uncomfortable sitting in a puddle of icy shake for the 5 minute drive home.  



Once home, I went straight to the laundry room, undressed and threw everything in the washer.  Ran upstairs rinsed off, got re-dressed and headed back to work.  I guess if that is the worse thing to happen today, it will still be a good day.  

At least I had this to come home to.  I blended the marinade an stuck it in the fridge overnight.  All I have to do tonight is put it in the oven, as long as I don't spill it all over myself.

Jerk Pork Loin with Mango Salsa
Ellie Krieger You Have It Made

1 small onion, roughly cut
1/3 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp. canola oil
8 cloves garlic
1 medium jalapeño top trimmed, with seeds
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
one 2-lb. pork loin
1 bay leaf

Place the onion, vinegar, oil, garlic, jalapeño, thyme, all spice, nutmeg, cloves, and black pepper into a food processor and process until smooth.
Place pork into a large (2 gallons) sealable plastic bag.  Add the marinade and bay leaf, toss to coat, and seal the bag, removing as much air as possible.  Place in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.  Thaw in the refrigerator for 36-48 hours to be ready to cook.
Ton continue, preheat the oven to 400˚F.  Drain the liquid from the bag, keeping any marinade but discarding the bay leaf.  Transfer the pork to a roasting pan and rub the marinade onto the pork.  Roast until the internal temperature reaches 145˚F for medium rare, about 45 minutes, or 160˚F for medium, about 1 hour.
Allow to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before sicing into 1/4 inch thick slices.  Serve with the Mango Cucumber Salsa.

Mango Cucumber Salsa

1 cup finely diced Mango
1 cup finely diced, seeded english cucumber
3 Tbsp. finely diced red onion
1.5 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. Cilantro leaves
Fresh lime juice to taste

In a medium bowl, toss the first 6 ingredient together to combine.  Toss cilantro leaves and add additional lime juice to taste.  Serve immediately.






Leftover pork makes a great hash dinner by dicing the pork, adding some diced onions and potatoes and topping with a over-easy egg!  Yum!

1 year ago:   Monday Mug Cake/ Lemon Cheesecake and the Lost Wedding Ring
2 years ago:  The Confession Maker Drink and "The Concession"
3 years ago:  Twice Baked Potatoes
4 years ago:  Wheat Berry and Butternut Squash Salad

February 25, 2016    Sunrise 8:15 am  Sunset 5:54 pm  Temp. H 32/ L 19˚F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.