Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Dutch Baby and Being an Active Sleeper


More nights than I would like to admit, my husband goes and sleeps on the sofa. Not because he is mad at me, or me at him, but because I am what he calls "an Active Sleeper." He says that I toss and turn, pull the covers, throw the covers off, and pull them away from him again because I threw mine off. And he says I snore...now that is just being rude.

I have joked that we need to get rid of our king size bed and get two double beds for our bedroom, then maybe he would spend the night with me. But as long as I am the one that gets the bed, I'm really not complaining.

So the other night I was having a very vivid dream and the next thing I knew I woke up slapping my husband in the face! I don't really know why, but I started to laugh and then said, "Oh, sorry." And I laid myself down and fell back asleep. Dave, on the other hand, was wide awake. He said he tried to go back to sleep, but he ended up on the couch, again.

I do feel sorta bad about that one, not that I did it on purpose or anything, I was dreaming after all. But I do feel bad. So I decided to make one of his favorite dinners; breakfast for dinner.  I made bacon, fried eggs, and this fruit filled Dutch baby. It was delicious and I think he has almost forgiven me for slapping him.

Dutch Baby with Strawberries and Blueberries
So Easy, Ellie Krieger

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup low-fat milk
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tsp. butter
fruit for topping, optional
sweetened whipped cream, optional
pistachios, optional

Preheat oven to 450˚F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, and salt.  In another bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, egg whites, and lemon zest.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
In a heavy 10-inch cast-iron or ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the butter until very hot but not smoking.  Pour the batter into the skillet and quickly transfer it to the oven.  Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown and puffed; do not open the oven during baking.  Serve immediately topped with your choice of toppings.

1 year ago:    The End of Summer
3 years ago:  Lobo
5 years ago:  Banana Bread and Putting up Wood for the Winter

August 22, 2017  Sunrise 6:01 am  Sunset 9:43pm  Temp.  H 59/L 49˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.