Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Pork Tinga


I love pulled pork.  I love the saucy sweet/spicy flavor.  I always order it when we go to a couple of our favorite restaurants, I never try anything else because I'll be disappointed if the dish isn't as good as the pulled pork.

I make pulled pork at home, but it isn't my husband's favorite.  I don't know what is wrong with him. But, whenever I pull out a pork butt and the crock pot he starts looking for excuses not to eat dinner or to go out!  This time I surprised him.  This isn't pulled pork, it's pork Tinga and it is completely different.

The nice thing is it is a crock pot (mostly) throw and go, so easy for me and oh so tasty!  


At the end of the crock pot cooking time, it is very soupy.  All that is flavor.

Remove the meat with a slotted spoon, I put the meat in my Kitchenaide and let it do the work.  Shredding the pork took about 30 seconds.


The sauce is poured into a pan over medium-high heat and the shredded pork is added to it and cooked until the liquid is evaporated.

Cook until the sauce is gone and the pork begins to caramelize and get crunchy bits.  

This is what you get when I let my husband take a picture.



Dave ate his Tinga on flour tortillas with Queso, avocado, cilantro, tomatoes and a squeeze of lime.  He declared them delicious! Notice, he also snuck some of my pork rind tortilla chips for some crunch under the Tinga.  We had dinner, lunch for Dave the next day, and a container in the freezer for dinner one day when I'm not feeling like cooking.  A total win.

Pork Tinga
Cooks' Country Magazine December 2017

2 lb. boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 (15 oz) can tomato suace
1 onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder
salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves

For serving:
corn or flour tortillas, or these chips
crumbled queso fresco
fresh cilantro leaves
sour cream
diced avocado
lime wedges

Combine pork, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, chile powder, 1 tsp. slat, oregano, thyme, and bay leaves in slow cooker.  Cook until pork is tender, 5-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.  Discard bay leaves.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the pork from the crock pot.  Using two forks, or your mixer, shred the pork.  Transfer contents of slow cooker to a 12 inch nonstick skillet.  Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and mixture begins to brown in spots, 10-12 minutes.  Season with salt to taste.  Spoon pork onto tortillas or chips.  Top with your choice of toppings.  Enjoy.  
Serves 4-6

5 years ago:   New Cookbooks

January 9, 2018  Sunrise 10:40  Sunset 3:16   Temp. H -9/ L -20˚F



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.