Friday, March 2, 2012

Manhattan


Today I am in San Francisco going to a conference.  I've been to this particular conference three or four times, it always has good information. The conference is located in one of my favorite places and the ocean just smells right.   My friend, Nancy, has come with me several times, but I am alone this trip. Nancy's uncle, Robert, used to live in San Francisco.  He was a very proper, retired, fourth grade teacher.  We would go to lunch or to dinner with him at the Cliff House, downstairs where they still used table cloths, you must have table cloths.  And Robert would order a Manhattan.
Robert passed away about a year and a half ago at the age of 92.  I won't eat at the Cliff House, but while I'm in San Francisco I'll have a Manhattan and think about Robert, his love for Sara Palin, orchids and his crisp button up shirts.

Manhattan - Robert ordered his extra sweet and straight up.
1001 Cocktails

dash angostura bitters
3 measures rye whiskey
1 measure sweet vermouth
cracked ice
cocktail cherry

Shake the liquids over cracked ice in a mixing glass and mix well.  Strain into a chilled glass and decorate with the cherry.

March 2, 2010     Daylight  10 hours,  18 minutes,  49 seconds     Current Temp  I don't know, I'm in
California, and it is a lot warmer here than in Fairbanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.