Monday, November 26, 2012

Baked Eggs in Potatoes


The day after Thanksgiving I stay home.  You can stand in line at 3:00 a.m. to buy socks 1/2 off, I'll be cozy in my bed.  I am an early riser though, and about 5:30-6:00 (if I can sleep in), I'll get up and put a batch of sticky buns in the oven.  Anyone can stop by for coffee and a caramel roll (or sticky bun) when they need a break, an opportunity to refuel and head back out for more "sales"(or combat shopping).

This year I also made baked eggs and potatoes.  My beautiful niece and her husband came over and we had a lovely brunch.  Michelle and the boys from across the street joined us for a nice visit.  Michelle went home for a nap (she is a combat shopper) and Nichole and Dain left for some shopping and a movie.

I saw this on Pinterest, I would like to cite the blog, but when I decided to make it, of course, I couldn't find it again and I hadn't put it on my board like I thought I had.  So, whoever pinned it, it is brilliant! If you find it on Pinterest, read their directions, I'm sure they are more efficient than mine (and let me know so I can give credit where it is due). I baked the potatoes the day before, scooped them out and they were ready to go in the morning.
The blond boy and the DIL the day after Thanksgiving.
I'll be making these when the curly haired boy and his chick comes home for Christmas, and probably for New Year's Day breakfast when the baby boy and his chick come home.  You can change it up by what you add to the potato skin with the egg, a little creamed spinach, cheese, bacon (everything's better with bacon), salsa...
I like one whole egg and one egg white and my yolks hard.

Baked Potatoes and Eggs

4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed well
salt and pepper
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I didn't measure here, just use as much as you want), divided
4-8 eggs
4 Tbsp. heavy cream

Preheat oven to 450ºF.  Wash potatoes and poke with a fork to release steam, bake  45-60 minutes until cooked through.  (No, I do not wrap them in foil or oil the skin, you can do it if you want) Remove from oven and let cool.

When cool enough to handle, cut of top third and scoop out insides, save for another use.  Salt and pepper the interiors of the potato skins. This can be done the night before to save you time. Place potato skins in a 8x8 pan. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Reduce oven temp. to 350ºF

Line the inside of the potato skin with shredded cheddar cheese and/or any other filling you like.  Top with one or two eggs, depending on who you are serving and how big the potato skin is.  Top with 1 tbsp. heavy cream.  Bake for 15-30 minutes, depending on how you like your yolk.  During the last 5 minutes, top with cheddar cheese and return to oven to melt.

Serves 4

November 26, 2012   Daylight 5 hours, 5 minutes, 14 sec.   Temp. H -6/L -8 ºF


UPDATE:  I found the blog!  Of course it was months after I first posted this.  If you want to see the original recipe you can find it here at Our Best Bites.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of cooking eggs like this but I bet it's a great filling way to start the day. PS: If you're baking at 5:00 in the morning I'd love to stop by when we wake up.. around 8ish. Yummy. Thanks for linking up with Mostly Homemade Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aubrey,
    I'm always up early, stop by! I wish I had thought of this idea. I'm still looking for the post on Pinterest, where I saw this to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.