Friday, November 2, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Nutella Buttercream


Dinner with good friends is always a wonderful event.  There is just something about eating, laughing, sharing stories and laughing with people who get you.  I love my monthly date with my friends.

We always bring a little gift or treat for each other.  This month  we received a shower aromatherapy ball (mine was grapefruit and lavender and I'm headed to the store for more), a chocolate hazelnut bar (YUM!), peppermint chap stick (perfect for this time of year), I took caramel corn, and Linda brought a flourless chocolate cake with Nutella buttercream.  Oh my, it was so good.  We sat right in the restaurant and ate it.  It was that good.

It is one of those treats that you don't need much to satisfy.  But boy, it is good (have I said that already?).  The fact that Nutella is one of the ingredients guarantees success.  So, if you are gluten free or not, this is the perfect dessert for something special or just something.  Make it.  I dare you not to dream about it, like I have been doing.

I had to make this cake this week.  It is the perfect cake to celebrate my one year blog birthday.  Who would have thought that I could ramble on for a whole year? (Well, anyone who knows me, knows I can go on and on and on...)  So, happy birthday to me and my little blog.  I hope you try this cake and have a piece to help me celebrate.  Let me know what you think about this little piece of deliciousness.  By the way, you're welcome.

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Nutella Buttercream
from my friend Linda

 - 1 pound bittersweet chocolate (I used Lindt 70% dark chocolate)
- 1/2 pound sweet butter
- 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
- 8 eggs
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
 Line 9" cake pan with parchment circle.  (I used a spring form pan)
Break chocolate into smaller pieces and put into microwave safe bowl with butter.  Melt in microwave on defrost level to prevent scorching, stirring every 2 or 3 minutes until completely melted and combined.  Add liqueur.
Whip eggs until doubled in volume.  Fold 1/3 eggs into chocolate until just streaks remain.  Repeat with next 1/3 and final third.
Pour into cake pan.  Insert pan into larger pan and place in oven.  Pour boiling water into larger pan until it reaches 1/2 up side of cake.
Bake for 22 - 25 minutes until cake has a thin glazed crust on top but remains jiggly.  (Should look like the film on cook and serve pudding)
Cool to room temperature.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerage overnight before frosting.
Nutella Buttercream:) happy
2 small jars or 1 large jar Nutella (approx. 26 oz.)
3 sticks sweet butter at room temperature
Mix well in blender, food processor or with mixer.
Decorate flourless cake with frosting.
**1/2 of recipe is plenty for the cake.  Even after decorating each of your pieces individually, I still have a good amount in a container in the freezer.**

Ahh, what to do with extra Nutella Buttercream you ask...what extra Nutella buttercream.

November 2, 2012     Daylight  7 hours, 39 minutes, 21 seconds     Temp. 8°F

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This cakes sounds heavenly. Happy birthday to your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes. You brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun blog to find today... on my birthday! I was searching for Sandra's peartini recipe and came across yours. This will be a fun way to celebrate here in the San Francisco area. I'm also from Alaska, born in Fairbanks and raised in Anchorage. What a fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I was born in the San Francisco area and then moved to Alaska. I think you did it the right way, living in the San Francisco area as an adult would be so much more fun. It is one of my favorite places to visit. Happy Birthday to us!

      Delete
    2. That's so funny! What a small world. My dad was the mayor of Fairbanks when I was born... you might not have been in Alaska at that time. I love that you enjoy cooking... no matter where you live it's always the one thing that brings everyone together. I've enjoyed your blog :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.