Monday, November 5, 2012

Pretzel Turtles

Halloween has come and gone and the season of eating is upon us.  I like to start this holiday season with using up the left-over candy from Halloween.  Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depends on how you look at it), we didn't have as many trick-or-treaters as we usually do so I have a lot of left-over candy.

Our neighborhood is a great place to trick-or-treat.  We have a lot of families, the houses are close together, especially for Fairbanks, and we have generous neighbors.  We usually get anywhere from 350-400 kids stopping by for trick-or-treating.  I make homemade treats for the kids we know well, and lots of candy for everyone else.  Well, this year we had about 75!  I don't know if it was a little too cold with the wind blowing or because we are the last street kids just didn't make it this far, but I have a ton of left over candy now, and what to do with it?  I took some to work for my candy jar, I have a couple of recipes for candy, like this one, and we'll take the rest to the food bank.

This is really a cheater "recipe."  I can't even call it a recipe because it is really just squishing together a couple of things.  This uses Rollos, small pretzels, and pecans.  They are a really delicious treat and they look nice on a cookies plate. The sweet-salty, crunchy-creamy combination is really addictive.

 I used up all the Rollos I had, so I made about 75 of these. I don't know where I got the recipe, but I've been making these for years.  You can see all kinds of variations on Pinterest.  I've seen the same kind of thing with kisses and m&ms.   I'll keep these in the fridge and have some for giving and some for snacking on when ever the mood hits.

What are some of your favorite ways to use your left-over candy? 

Pretzel Turtles

30 small round or square pretzels
30 Rollos candies, unwrapped
30 pecan halves

Preheat oven to 250°F.  Lay pretzels in a single layer on a sheet pan, top each pretzel with one Rollo candy.  Warm in oven for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and push one pecan half on top of each Rollo.  Cool completely.  Store in refrigerator.  Makes 30 candies.

Tips:
The chocolate stays a little melty so keeping these in the fridge keeps the shape intact and the mess down.

Don't cook the Rollos too much, you want them warm enough to squish the pecan on top, but you don't want them to melt all over the place.

November 5, 2012     Daylight  7 hours, 19 minutes, 12 seconds     Temp.  6°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.