Wednesday, December 19, 2012

White Chocolate and Peppermint Popcorn


If you have been on Pinterest lately, and who hasn't, you will see all kinds of popcorn covered with everything from caramel to cayenne.  One day I saw a beautiful picture of white chocolate and crushed peppermint popcorn.

"Hmmm, that looks pretty, and interesting."  I said to myself.  "I'll have to try that."

But did I pin it? NO, of course I didn't, that would have been too easy. So, who ever pinned this, I'm sorry I'm not referencing you, when I looked back of course I couldn't find it again, even though it had been repinned about 9476 times (it looked that good).

So, on my snow day, I improvised.  One of the boys from across the street came over, we popped some corn in the air popper, melted a hunk of white chocolate, crushed some candy canes and put this together.  It was heaven.  Sweet, minty, crunchy, light, this was a wonderful snack.  And we couldn't stop eating it.  So much so, that I had to make another batch so I could take some to work the next day...yes, I ate the whole thing, and I'm seeking counseling for my over-eating habit...right after the holidays.

White Chocolate and Peppermint Popcorn.
with apologies to who ever pinned this first, and to you because I didn't measure anything

A big batch of popcorn - I popped 2/3 cup of popcorn kernels in my air-popper
about 6 oz. white chocolate
about 1 cup crushed candycanes - I crushed them in my food processor until it was mostly dust

Place popcorn on large cookie sheets with sides, I used two jelly roll pans.  Pick out any unpopped kernels.  Keep warm in oven heated to 200ºF.

Crush candy canes with a hammer, sturdy rolling pin, or in your food processor.  You want it mostly dust with a few small bits.

Melt white chocolate using your favorite method, I use the microwave method, stirring after every 15 seconds so it doesn't scorch.

Take popcorn out of oven, Drizzle white chocolate over popcorn, sprinkle with crushed candy canes.  Mix, drizzle again, sprinkle again until all the chocolate and candy canes are used up and popcorn is coated.  Let cool.  Break into pieces.
I think this would last about 3-5 days in an airtight container, but I really don't know because I ate it all.
Enjoy responsibly.

December 19, 2012   Daylight 3 hours, 41 minutes, 51 seconds   Temp. H -25/ L -40 ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.