Friday, March 29, 2013

Bistro Steak with Red Wine Sauce

I am getting old and I am noticing some changes.  Sometimes words come out of my mouth and I have no control over them.  Everyone younger than me all look like they are twelve.  I cuss more.  I drink less.  I am still the pleasant, loving, kind, wonderful person I have always been (o.k. that is debatable...the always kind, loving, pleasant, and wonderful part).  Well, you put that all together and I get myself into some awkward situations...not for me, but those around me are feeling a little awkward, I figure that is their problem.

Well, last year my dentist retired.  The same dentist I have had since I was a little girl (did I already tell you this story?  Again, old age and I forget everything.  I need a tag "Embarrassing things I said" but then there would be so many...).  So there I was sitting in the dental hygienest's chair feeling very sad, and this little twelve year old walked in.  She said something like, "Hi, I'm Mary Smith, your new dentist."
To which I so kindly, pleasantly, and lovingly responded, "Oh my God, what are you twelve?"

See what I mean.

She was better with her filter than I was (after all she is only twelve) and said something very professional like, "I can assure you I have been to dental school."


But this is not the end of my tale.  My husband, who was so embarrassed that I said that to our new dentist, had to have some oral surgery.  Our twelve year old dentist sent him to the oral surgeon.  She is also twelve, and three feet tall!  I'm not exaggerating (o.k. maybe a little).  She comes to my shoulder and I'm no towering giant myself (5'4" if I stand really tall).  The twelve year old oral surgeon give my husband something and gets to work.  He start to hallucinate and is grabbing things from the air, telling them stories while she has both hands in his mouth (yes, they both fit) and somehow she gets everything finished she has to do.

I am sitting in the waiting room, getting updates and so happy I have something embarrassing to hold over his head I am here to experience this with him.  He has to go back soon for his follow up.
So, here we are, two old fogeys getting older while the twelve year olds run the world.  At least I can legally buy wine and make this meal for us, while we still have teeth.  I used moose and it was delicious.  The sauce is very flavorful.  Paired with roasted potatoes and asparagus, it was the perfect old-folks-home meal.

I get to see the twelve year old dentist later today, I'm so excited.


Bistro Steak with Red Wine Sauce
Cooking Light, February 2013


  • 1 tablespoon canola oil 
  • (8-ounce) top sirloin steaks, trimmed
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 3 tablespoons minced shallots
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 cup full-bodied red wine (such as cabernet sauvignon) 
  • 1/2 cup unsalted beef stock
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons butter 
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preparation

  1. 1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle steaks evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add steaks to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from pan. Let stand 5 minutes.
  2. 2. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add shallots and thyme to pan; sauté 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add wine; cook 2 1/2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add stock; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half and mixture is slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, butter, and mustard; stir with a whisk.
  3. 3. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
March 29, 2013     Daylight 13 hours, 19 minutes, 10 seconds     Temp. H 41/ L 10° F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.