Friday, March 8, 2013

Maple-Mustard Chicken


So it is almost Spring in Fairbanks.  We have over 10 hours of daylight and there is a little heat behind the sun.  We will still have snow for a couple of months but there is hope in the air that winter will finally end.

Dave has been busy outside moving snow around.  He has a big 0 birthday coming up and we are having a party and a bonfire so he is making extra room in the back.  Pretty soon he will be snow blowing the front yard so he can see green grass as soon as possible.

Dinners right now are kind of spur of the moment.  Usually, I plan meals for two weeks.  Lately, I look in the freezer and think, "what can I cook?"  I bought several packages of chicken thighs when they were on sale, so this morning I pulled a package out of the freezer and hoped Dave wouldn't mind too much. (After all, we did just have prime rib and red meat every night since)

This is an old time standby (I can't say favorite because anything with chicken will never be a favorite for Dave).  He eats it, I like it and it is pretty easy.  The mustard coating adds a lot of flavor and the chicken thighs ensure a juicy end result.  I do make this with chicken breast for myself sometimes, but again, Dave doesn't like chicken breast, it is too dry for him.  This is a nice light almost-Spring dinner.  Pair it with a salad and some asparagus and you are set.

I hope the snow is starting to melt where you live.

Maple-Mustard Chicken
adapted from Ellie Krieger The Food You Crave

4 chicken thighs (I use boneless skinless)
1/2 cup grainy mustard
3 Tbsp.  real maple syrup
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. marjoram

Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Spray 9X9 pan with cooking spray.  Place chicken in pan.
Mix mustard, maple syrup, garlic, and marjoram in a small bow.  Spread over top of chicken, covering completely.  Bake for 40-50 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

Sunset from my back deck.  I make it home from work before dark now!

March 8, 2013     Daylight 10 hours, 57 minutes, 43 seconds    Temp. H 35/ L 12˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.