Friday, December 6, 2013

Biscuits and Gravy


I have the most awesomest sister in law in the world.  She is not really smart though, she did marry my baby brother.  I really enjoy my time with her, which is only every couple of years when one of the kids graduates from high school.  I have made a commitment to change that and the next time Cal comes up hunting, she is coming with, or better yet, maybe we will meet at some spa someplace!

Lisa has a great sense of humor, and a good memory.  It might have been my idea to trick Dave with the Tornado siren but Lisa is the one who remembered and led Dave down the cellar stairs.

She is also an excellent cook.  She made these biscuits one morning for breakfast when we were visiting in May.  I love biscuits and gravy and never make them at home.  It was such a treat.  The biscuits were tender, flaky (kinda like me), warm, and delicious.  They were the perfect bed for her delicious gravy.  I ate my weight in biscuits and gravy that morning.
These are good, but Lisa's were better. I'll have to keep practicing...or better yet go get a lesson from her and hold the new baby!

She did give me the recipe for the biscuits, they are wonderful.  I had to make my own sausage gravy.  I made these for dinner, Dave loves breakfast food, just not before 1:30 in the afternoon, he is not much of a morning person.
Biscuits and gravy for dinner.  Dave is getting used to dairy free everything.

Lisa's Biscuits

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the board
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder (use one without aluminum)
1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold
1 cup buttermilk (approx)
Directions:


Preheat your oven to 450°F.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, or in the bowl of a food processor.

Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal.

If using a food processor, just pulse a few times until this consistency is achieved.

Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined.

If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk. It should be very wet.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board.

Gently, gently PAT (do NOT roll with a rolling pin) the dough out until it's about 1/2" thick. Fold the dough about 5 times, gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thick.

Use a round cutter to cut into rounds. (I pat into a square and cut my biscuits)

You can gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, but they will not be anywhere near as good as the first ones.

Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other.

If you like"crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom.

Do not overbake.

1 year ago:  Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Oregano
2 years ago: Frog Eye Salad

December 6, 2013  Daylight 4 hrs, 15 min, 39 sec.  Temp. H 18 / L 16 °F (above!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.