Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Rice Krispy Treat Balls - Christmas Cookies


One of the many things I love about Christmas is Christmas cookies.  I just can't get enough.  I make a lot of cookies around this time of the year.  Lots of old favorites, like Russian Tea Cakes and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I also like to try a few new ones, you know, mix it up a bit.

Well, in my over abundance of cookies, I always tend to gain a little weight over the holidays, and then work to take it off after my birthday.  But, this year we are headed to Costa Rica mid January, and won't be able to get any extra weight off before we go, so I joined my bootcamp's "No gain Holiday Challenge."  the point is not to gain any weight over the holiday, and if you don't you get a cash prize...money is always a good incentive (the too tight pants should be too, but when cookies are right in front of you and the summer pants are put away...)  Yea, the first week of the challenge...not so much.  Thank goodness I have 5 weeks left and I'm sure to get better at saying no.
The kids "fluffing" the tree while two of the dogs supervise.

So, just to test my will power, I made rice crispy treat balls with cherries and pistachios.  Yum!  They are very Christmasy looking and delicious...and I made them small so they don't have very many calories, that way I can eat extra!

Merry Christmas.

Rice Krispy Treat Balls with Cherries and Pistachios
I saw these somewhere, but can't remember so I made up the amounts of nuts and cherries

3 Tbsp. butter
5 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows (one bag)
5 cups puffed rice cereal (yes, I use Rice Krispies)
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped (I used scissors to cut them)
1 cup pistachios, chopped

Butter a cookie sheet.

Melt butter in a large pan, add marshmallows and heat until melted.  Add rice cereal, cherries, and pistachios, mix until well coated.  Quickly scoop cereal mixture and roll into balls.  Place onto prepared cookie sheet.
Makes 24-36 balls depending on size.

1 year ago:    My new Nativity
2 years ago:  Nutella Filled Cookies
Jack sitting at the table, just hanging out.
Feeling a little special since he is at the table.

December 11, 2013   Daylight 3 hrs. 57 min. 10 sec.   Temp H -7/ L -14 °F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.