Friday, January 16, 2015

Nutella Palmiers and the New Dental Hygienist


I deserve a medal or something.  I went to the dentist this week and my dental hygienist, for the last 27 years, has retired and moved out of state.  So I was faced with a new, young face.  Let's not forget the issue I just had getting a filling replaced by my new dentist, and now I have to deal with a new hygienist...the joy never ends.

Well, when I arrived and checked in, I did tell the receptionist how unhappy I was that some people get to retire and move closer to grandchildren and force change upon those of us who don't like change and don't have grandchildren to move closer to.  She agreed that we all missed our former hygienist, but she assured me I would really like this new one.
"Well, you better warn her about me."  I stated tersely, and I went and sat down with a magazine.

In no time at all I heard my name being called.  I looked up to the face of my young, smiling dental hygienist.
"Toni, are you ready?  I'm so glad you are here," she says.
"Did they warn you about me?" I asked, "They should have."
She laughed a little uncomfortably, "Yes, I was warned.  I know we all miss Ellen.  Even my mom used to go to Ellen."
"Well, I just might cry."  I stated.
"That's O.K.", she said, "If you cry, I'll cry right along with you, I'm due with my first baby next week and I'm an emotional wreck."
So we bonded over tears unshed...and so I didn't cry and I deserve a medal.
And since there are no medals to be had, I'll have some warm cookies with Nutella.  I deserve a treat.






Nutella and Biscoff Butter Palmiers

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Nutella, about 1 cup
Biscoff butter, about 1 cup

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Line cookie sheet with parchment.

Roll puff pastry sheet to remove fold lines.  Spread Nutella over half of the sheet, starting on the long end and moving toward the center.  Spread Biscoff butter over the other half of the sheet.  Roll the pastry sheet, starting on a long end, to the center, until all the Nutella is rolled up.  Roll the other side with the Biscoff butter, to the center, until it touched the Nutella roll.  You should have two rolls that meet in the middle, one all Nutella, one all Biscoff.  
Cut 1/4 inch cookies across both rolls and place on cookie sheet.  Pull bottom to make it a heart shape.  Pinch it a little, it will soften and round while it is baking.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown.  Cool on pan about 5 minutes, them remove to cooling rack.


January 16, 2015  Sunrise 10:24am Sunset 3:38 pm Temp H 27/ L 7°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.