Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cranberry Liqueur

Two quarts of cranberry liqueur ready to cure for 3 weeks.

I had a hard day.
I had to go to the dentist and have a filling replaced.  That filling was 40 years old, I was attached and I think the dentist has it out for me because I asked her if she was 12 the first time I met her.  Needless to say, it didn't go well, I cried, sweated bullets, had to have my husband leave work and come sit with me.  How embarrassing.

Then, Riley, my little dachshund, is not house broken so he has to wear a shirt so he won't 'go' in the house.  Tonight after dinner, and after he had been outside TWICE, he pooped in his shirt!  I had to get the damn poopy shirt off over his head, get him outside, get the mess cleaned up and then get his butt washed when he came in.  Sometimes I wonder if I like that dog at all.
Riley in his clean shirt...after the poop incident.

So, I don't feel well (actually I just don't feel my cheek, tongue or top of my mouth), and I had poop duty.  So I didn't feel much like baking.  I just wanted a drink.  Which reminded me that I wanted to make some cranberry liqueur.  So I did.

After our house fire 12 years ago, our neighbor took us in for a couple of days until we got our apartments (yes it took two apartments because we had 5 kids at home at the time).  One of the things our dear neighbor did was hand us a glass of her homemade cranberry liqueur each evening so we could relax after another hard day of dealing with all your worldly possessions going up in smoke.  It was a little glass of heaven each evening before bed.

I wanted to make some this year to have on hand for the holidays.  It is so good on its own, but it is also very good mixed with champagne, in a Cosmo, or mixed with vodka and some sprite.  I am using some of my wild Alaskan cranberries, but you can use the cranberries you buy at the store.  It is a beautiful color and a sweet-tart flavor.  It also makes nice gifts if you can bear to part with any.

It almost makes up for cleaning up a poopy dog and crying in the dentist's office
Weighing my cranberries.

Cooking cranberries, water, and sugar.

Dividing the cranberry mixture between two quart jars.
Cranberry Liqueur

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
  • 4 cups vodka 
  1. Combine sugar, cranberries and water in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and cranberry skins pop, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and cool completely.  Add vodka.
  2. Pour the vodka mixture into clean jars; secure with lids. I divide the cranberry/sugar mixture into two quart canning jars, then add two cups of vodka into each jar.  Let stand 3 weeks in a cool, dark place, shaking every other day.
  3. Strain the cranberry mixture through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a bowl, and discard solids. Carefully pour liqueur into clean bottles or jars.  
  4. Note: Liqueur can be stored refrigerated or at room temperature for up to a year. Like it is going to last that long.
October 22, 2014   Daylight 8 hrs, 55 min, 9 sec.     Temp. H 34/ L 23°F

2 comments:

  1. Just mail Riley down to us, Angus misses him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Riley, he does love his shirt though. He would enjoy your weather more than ours at this point!

      Delete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.