Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw

 The baby boy and his chick are moving home to go to school!  I can't tell you how excited I am.  After three years of having a big empty, lonely house, we are getting kids back.

Now, because we have been on our own for a while, and the baby has been on his own, I know there will be some space issues with all of us, so I am in major planning and reorganizing mode with our house.  One of the back bedrooms is being converted into a t.v. room for the baby and his chick, that way they can have some 'alone' time or entertain friends without us around (and we can watch what we want and not be kept up into all hours of the night).  We'll add a desk in there for studying.  So essentially, the kids will get one end of the house with a bedroom, t.v. room, and bath.  The living room, dining room, and kitchen are in the middle of the house, and our bedroom and family room are on the other side of the house.  We can be together when we want and have some privacy when we want.

The kids are packing up, even as we speak, and will get on the Alaska Ferry November 8.  They should arrive in Fairbanks the 11th or 12th (I'm praying for mild weather and no snowstorms then).  To say I am a little hyper about it is putting it mildly.  My poor husband.  We have been cleaning carpets, buying and re-arranging furniture, decorating, planning, and cleaning.  I'm tired just watching Dave work! (Only half joking here, the half about me being tired)...

That on top of Dave putting up the last 3 1/2 cords of wood, and both of us doing what just needs to be done has made for a busy couple of weeks.  Time for some "stick to your ribs" kind of meals that are warm, filling, and keep you going.

I made brussels sprout slaw.  Dave claims he doesn't like brussels sprouts, so I disguised them, he ate them and declared them good...then I told him what they were.  And he has said he would happily eat them this way again.  Right now, I am trying to feed him only things I know he really likes, he is working his tail off.
Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw
1 lb. brussel sprouts, sliced thin to make shreds
3 slices bacon, sliced cross wise in 1/2 inch pieces
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp.  Drain bacon on paper towel and set aside.  Drain all but 1 Tbsp. bacon fat from pan.

Add butter to fat in skillet, add brussels sprout shreds.  Cook, stirring often 5-8 minutes, until they begin to soften but not until they are completely wilted.  Add cream and heat through.  Season with salt and pepper, top with bacon and serve.

October 16, 2013   Daylight 9 hours, 35 min. 27 sec.    Temp. H 46/ L 37° F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.