Friday, October 11, 2013

Autumn Fruit Tart



Several weeks ago, I was complaining to my friend Traci that I had "attitude" and I was having a hard time turning that around.  I needed something to change, so I changed jobs.

"I really am a positive person.  I don't like feeling like this, but I just can't get myself turned around." I complained to her over dinner.

Well, Traci is smart (she doesn't have a corner office for no reason) and she gave me the most thoughtful, potentially life changing gift a person could think of.  She gave me A Year of Gratitude.  In this box is Thank You cards - one for each week of the year, a journal to write down who you sent the card to and your thoughts and some pointers on how to write a meaningful thank you card.  It helps you focus on the good, not ruminate on the negative (and boy do I need that).

So, every Sunday morning, as I drink my coffee, I will write one thank-you to someone.  I have all week to think about it, figure out who I will thank, and I will mail the card on Monday morning.  It will be hand written and sent through snail mail, a small surprise for someone who deserves it.  Sitting here thinking about it makes me realize that my list of people to thank is already so long one year might not do it.  This might be a life-long habit that Traci just started.  I am committed to live a life of gratitude, not attitude.  And I'm going to start with Traci.  I'm glad she smacked me in the attitude and got me back on the right track.

Thank you, friend.

Autumn Fruit Tart
adapted from Harvest Baking

Crust:
1 1/4 cups crushed vanilla wafer cookies
1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp. brandy, or apple juice
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 medium apple, peeled, chopped (about 1 cup)

Topping
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Combine all crust ingredients in small bowl; mix well.  Press onto bottom and up sides of greased 9" tart pan with removable bottom.  Bake 8 minutes.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, eggs, flour, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, brandy and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon in medium bow., mix well.  Stir in hazelnuts, apricots, cranberries, and apple.  Spoon mixture into crust.  Bake for 40-50 minutes or until deep golden brown.  Cook 15 minutes.  Remove side of pan.

Combine all topping ingredients in a small bow.  Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.  Serve with tart.

October 9, 2013   Daylight 10 hrs. 22 mins. 15 sec.  Temp.  H 35/ L 27°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.