Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Patriotic Pie and a Kitchen Disaster


We had about 20 people over for a 4th of July dinner.  We didn't have the usual grilled meat type of dinner, no, the Blond Boy and the DIL were here so we had prime rib and crab.  The boy loves prime rib and the DIL loves crab.  I did make a patriotic pie.  It was a cheater pie from this pie, but I used canned pie filling, I was in a hurry.  I made the pie, snapped a picture to post on instagram, and popped it in the oven.  450°F and 45 minutes later, it was ready to pull out of the oven.

I did want to make sure the bottom crust was cooked completely, and since I baked this in a pyrex pan I lifted it over my head and checked out the bottom crust - perfect!  As I was lowering it to place it on the counter, the pie slipped from the pot holders and spilled, upside-down, onto the door of the oven.

I screamed, the glass hit, and my kids came running to see what the noise was all about.  The pie, of course, was ruined.  There was cherry and blueberry lava all over the oven door, inside the oven, the kitchen floor...the kids turned the oven off and started to clean up the mess.  We got a good handle of the mess and the Baby Boy says, "I thought there was blueberry in the pie, I've only cleaned up cherry."
This is after I used two spatulas to clean most of it off the door, I finally calmed down a little.

He opened the drawer under the oven, and there was a pile of blueberry and more cherry all over the pans in the bottom drawer.  More cleaning, one last scrub of the oven and the floor and we were done.
The drawer under the oven...full of blueberry and cherry goodness that we don't get to enjoy.

Now, the good news in this mishap is 1) the pyrex dish didn't break, 2) the glass on the oven door didn't break, and 3) the pie slipped forward, not backward, and I didn't end up wearing searing hot sugary pie filling and ending up in the burn unit at our local hospital!

The Baby Boy and the Chick went to the store and bought ice cream, toppings, and waffle cones and we had an ice cream bar for our dessert.  It was the silver lining to the whole event.

1 year ago:   The Curly Haired Boy's Wedding
2 years ago:  Adult Root Beer Floats
3 years ago:  Strawberry Eating Dogs and Strawberry Pie

July 8, 2015  Sunrise 3:30 am  Sunset 12:23 am  Temp H 73/ L 52°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.