Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Zucchini Chips


I have a new obsession.  It used to be things like hostess cupcakes, snickers bars, ice cream (o.k. so I still love ice cream), potato chips...the list goes on.  But most of those things I no longer eat and feel better for it, also for most of those things there is a keto version that I enjoy just as much.

However, I do miss the salty crunch of potato chips with a burger or hot dog.  In all honesty, I have eaten potato chips once in a while, just a few, but I know that goes directly against my food goals.  So you can imagine how excited I was when I saw some zucchini chips posted on Pinterest!  I tried to make my first batch in my oven, but my oven doesn't go below 250°F, so the chips were not ideal.

So, I did what anyone would do, I went and bought a food dehydrator.

I am loving this thing!  I use my mandolin to cut my zucchini nice and thin, lay them on the screens, turn  it on to 135°F and let it do it's thing.  8-12 hours later I have delicious, crunchy chips.  I like mine with salt, garlic and a little Parmesan. I have to be careful because the first day I ate two whole zucchini with my lunch and drank a ton of water and didn't feel so good the rest of the day!  I do need to learn the art of moderation!

So, this is what I do for my chip fix now.  I'm going to try radishes and see how that goes.  I also want to try cranberries for some keto cranberry bliss bars for the holiday season.  I might be late to the food dehydrator game, but I'm loving it now that I'm here!

Zucchini Chips

2 large zucchini, small just dry up to tiny nothings
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
salt
garlic powder
parmesan

Slice zucchini on mandolin.  Place zucchini in a bowl, add oil and toss to coat all the chips.  Place on dehydrator trays then salt and sprinkle with garlic (if I'm using parmesan, I dip one side in a little bowl of parmesan before I put it on the tray and top with salt and/or garlic).  Using manufacturer's directions, dehydrate (mine take about 12 hours and I like to rotate the top trays and the bottom trays half way through).

What other toppings should I try on my chips?

1 year ago:   Sleeping Pants and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
4 years ago:  Sometime Home Made Bread is Love
5 years ago:  Words with Friends and Dutch Apple Pie
7 years ago:  Barbeque and Bird Feeders

December 11, 2018  Sunrise 10:45am  Sunset 2:43pm  Temp. H 7/ L -5˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.