Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Spider Emergency


I had an emergency the other morning.  It was life threatening and life altering.

It is gets cooler this time of year.  The geese and cranes are starting their flights south, the leaves are turning color, there was a snow advisory for parts of the interior of Alaska last week, and the spiders are moving inside. All this happens every year, and while I don't want to, I can deal.  Except this morning.

I got up and went to make my first cup of coffee, it's early, it's chilly and I just want my coffee and to wake up a little and I see this...

If you can't tell, that is a spider on the pull-out base of my Kuerig.  I could't pull the coffee maker out to make my coffee, but I figured I could just make my coffee, from the other side, and not bother anyone.  Well, then the spider did this...
 And climbed up to where my coffee cup sit.  I screeched  quietly moved my coffee cup and tried to figure out what to do.  I decided I really needed coffee so I could be brave and I went to pick the spider up, carefully, with a sheet of paper and I could deposit him outside.  I put the edge of the paper in his walking path, and he jumped!  Another screech I quietly threw the paper aside and grabbed the Swiffer duster.  I picked him up and dumped him into the garbage, handle and all.  I hope he is living a happy spider life in the landfill.

Well, I got my coffee and sat down to enjoy the life bringing caffeine in peace.  I decided I needed a back up plan to get my coffee in case this happens again.  I thought coffee cookies would be the perfect thing. I can eat them with coffee, if the coffee maker is free or I could eat them and still get my daily dose of caffeine.  These are a win-win.



Keto Coffee Almond Straws
1 Tbsp. hot water
1/2 Tbsp. espresso powder
2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Swerve confectioner's sweetener
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

2 oz. sugar free dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 325°F.  Line tow baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a small bowl mix the hot water with the espresso powder until completely dissolved.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside

In a medium bowl, or your mixer bowl, cream butter and sweetener until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add egg, vanilla and espresso.  Mix well.  Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

Spoon mixture into cookie press fitted with the star or cheese straw disk.  Press straws onto parchment paper ( I made mine about 4 inches long which was one click of my cookie press).  Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from oven and cool.

Melt chocolate on a double boiler or in a microwave at 15 second intervals until completely melted.  You can add a tsp. of coconut oil to the chocolate to thin it a bit if desired.  Dip straws into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off, and place on parchment paper to cool and harden.  Or, alternatively, drizzle chocolate over straws in a zig-zag pattern.


August 28, 2019  Sunrise 6:18 am  Sunset 9:23 pm  Temp H 61/ L 44°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.