Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Coffee Ice Cream


I'm on a real ice-cream kick this summer.  I have always loved ice cream, but the store keto ice creams leave something to be desired.  Making keto ice cream is so easy there really is no excuse not to have some in your freezer at all times.  Right now I have strawberry cheesecake ice cream, keto butter pecan ice cream, and this coffee ice cream.
I've added chocolate chips and made ice cream sandwiches.

The cookies are these double chocolate cookies


My mom loves coffee ice cream and when I had some egg yolks I needed to use I asked her what flavor she wanted and she chose coffee.  My mom and I like a strong coffee flavor, you can adjust that to your liking, but this was perfect for us!

Coffee Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup strong coffee
1/2 to 1 tsp. instant espresso powder, start with less and add if needed
1/3 cup sweetener, I like Boca Sweet for ice cream (it helps to keep it softer)
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. vodka, helps with iciness and is optional
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

Optional add-ins:
chocolate chips
cocoa nibs
sugar free chocolate fudge or sauce

In a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream, coffee, espresso powder and sweetener.  Bring to 165°F.  While the cream is heating, whisk 4 egg yolks in a heat resistant bowl and set aside.
Once the cream is at the proper temperature, whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks slowly to warm egg yolks.  Once the cream is mixed in, pour the egg cream mixture into the rest of the hot cream in the saucepan and bring to 170°F.  Remove from heat, strain through a wire strainer into a bowl and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Whisk in vanilla extract, vodka and xanthan gum, whisking quickly so no lumps remain.
Process in ice cream maker according to your model's directions.
1 year ago:    Grilled Chicken Thighs 
5 years ago:   Chocolate Zucchini Bread
7 years ago:   Moose Sausage Stuffed Zucchini

August 14, 2019  Sunrise 5:34 am  Sunset 10:14 pm  Temp. H 65/ L 53°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.