Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Quick Bread

I got a new shirt for boot camp.  It really sums up the whole getting healthy, building muscle, eating right kind on message.
So, you can see, I am taking my workouts to a whole new level.  Along with that I am really concentrating on healthy eating.  Did you know chocolate is a health food?  It is, and pair that with some zucchini and you have a superfood in the making.  This chocolate zucchini quick bread is just the thing.

In August we usually have so much zucchini it is coming out of our ears!  But not this year.  My zucchini plants are still tiny and pathetic.  Luckily, my dear friend, Donna, gifted me with two large zucchini so I could make this cake.  She wants me to survive the Zombie apocalypse too.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
adapted from King Arthur Flour

2 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. espresso powder
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently packed

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, or lightly grease with oil.

Mix eggs, honey, vegetable oil, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl.

In a medium sized bowl mix the salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, cocoa and flour.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the chocolate chips and zucchini and mix.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan and cool completely before cutting.

1 year ago:   Rhubarb muffins and Fall's first frost
2 years ago:  Nutella Meringues and Vertigo

August 13, 2014   Sunrise 5:31 am  Sunset 10:18 pm  Temp. H 75/ L 51°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.