Friday, August 3, 2012

Moose Sausage Stuffed Zucchini


Yes, zucchini again.  That's what my husband is saying right about not.  I had these two gianormus (yes, that is a real word) zucchinis.  I cut one in half, shredded it and used it for the chocolate zucchini cake and the other half I stuffed for dinner.

I have a friend who stuffs her zucchini with rice, dried apricots, pistachios and herbs, it is wonderful.  But a meal without meat is not a meal, according to my husband.  So I stuff mine with moose sausage, cheese and marinara sauce.  You can stuff your zucchini with anything you want (and if you leave your car unlocked, I'll unload about 17 lbs. of overgrown zucchini).

Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
1 large zucchini, cut in half length-wise and seeds scraped out
1 lb. moose Italian spiced sausage, or Jimmy Dean or your favorite sausage
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
1-2 cups good marinara sauce, depending on preference

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Rinse zucchini, cut in half and scrape out seeds and some pulp to make a good sized well.  Place on foil covered baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper.

Brown sausage in skillet.  Cook and chop into medium sized crumbles.  Add parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and up to 2 cups of sauce, stir to combine.

Mound sausage mixture into well in zucchini half.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Top with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3-4 minutes.

Tips:
Some people chop the center of the zucchini and mix it in with the filling.  I don't because I don't like the texture of the seed center.

If your zucchini really rocks, you can cut a thin slice off the bottom to make it more stable.

August 3, 2012     Daylight  17 hours,  52 minutes  8 sec.     Current Temp. 61ºF



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.