Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Salmon on the grill


To say I eat a lot of salmon is an understatement.  I eat salmon one or two nights a week and then for lunch two or three days a week.  I love the stuff.

Last year, my brother-in-law went fishing down on the Kenai and brought home his limit of salmon and stored it in my freezer.  They were filleted and vacuum sealed, they were lovely.  This year a friend gave us some Copper River Reds.  They are so beautiful and delicious.  Dave filleted them and vacuum sealed them and they sit in the freezer for a winter of feasting on salmon.

Dave won't eat salmon.  Or, I should say, doesn't care for salmon.  He will eat smoked salmon but he says he ate more than his share growing up.  I am the only one at home that will eat the salmon (if you don't count the dogs and they just get the skin).  I did share some at work, but really I am hoarding the rest for myself.

I will grill a fillet and have some for dinner, then cut it into 'me serving size" portions and wrap it, freeze it and have it ready for lunch.  All I need is some salad and I top it with a piece of salmon and I am in heaven.

There are countless ways to top the salmon but my favorite is pure maple syrup and cayenne pepper.  Brush it on top and grill.  The salmon is sweet with a little kick at the end.  It is the perfect way to prepare it especially if you are going to use the salmon for another recipe like salmon patties or salmon salad for sandwiches (recipes to follow).

I know I'm very spoiled when it comes to my salmon.  I know my salmon is fresh, I know it is wild and I know people down in the real world pay big bucks for it and I get it for free.  If you are ever in town, stop by, I'll have Dave throw a fillet on the grill and we'll have a delicious dinner.

Salmon on the Grill
1 salmon fillet
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
1/4 tsp. cayenne

Preheat grill and turn one side off.  Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towels.  Mix syrup and cayenne pepper.  Place salmon on "off" side of grill, brush with syrup mixture.  Close lid of grill and let salmon cook for about 7 minutes.  Baste with syrup mixture a second time.  Close lid and grill another 7 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.
Serve.

August 21, 2012     Daylight 15 hours, 47 minutes, 53 seconds     Current Temp. 61ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.