Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Zucchini and Cheese Tart


Because I have more zucchini than I know what to do with, and because this is kinda' like a pie (for pie summer), we have a zucchini-cheese tart.  I make this a lot this time of year.  I always have the ingredients on hand and can whip one up for part of dinner or if someone stops by to visit.  It is perfect because it uses up some zucchini and in such a flavorful way, you don't mind eating zucchini (again).  Dave will even ask for this once in a while.

I totally cheat and use a box pie crust, so I always have one handy this time of year and the zucchini comes from my garden. The tart looks a little different each time depending on the green or yellow zucchini and if I have any ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse.  I have also added thin slices of onion to change it up a little.  The spreadable cheese can change depending on what you have or what you like.  I usually use a garlic herb blend, but I have made it with plain cream cheese and just added some garlic powder and chopped basil from the greenhouse.

On a sunny day, we take our tart and a good glass of wine and enjoy it on the deck.  If it is rainy, Dave will make a fire and we'll be toasty warm in the living room, enjoying the joy of our harvest.

Zucchini and Cheese Tart

2-3 medium green zucchini, sliced thinly
2-3 medium yellow summer squash, sliced thinly
1/2 container spreadable cheese (like Boursin), garlic herb flavor
1 crust pastry
1 Tbsp. milk or cream

Roll pastry into a 12-14 inch circle. Place pastry on large sheet pan with parchment paper.  Spread cheese on pastry except for about 2" boarder.  Place zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes in overlapping circles, covering the cheese.  Fold edge of pastry over the edge of the vegetables.  Brush with milk, bake at 450º F for 15-20 minutes until pastry is golden brown and vegetables are soft.  Cool slightly.  Cut into 8 pieces.  Serve warm or room temperature.



Tips:
Use thinly sliced tomatoes and add to the tart.  Mine aren't ripe yet, so no tomatoes here.

As soon as you pull the tart from the oven, add about 1 Tbsp. more blue cheese, it gives it a bright, strong blue cheese flavor.
August 8, 2012     Daylight  17 hours,  17 minutes, 24 sec.     Current Temp.   55ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.