Monday, August 27, 2012

Salmon Cakes


While salmon hot off the grill, is my favorite way to eat it, I also really enjoy salmon cakes.  These are like the meatloaf of Fairbanks, everyone has their own way of doing it and it is a little different every time, depending on your mood and what you have handy.

I keep mine very simple so the flavor of the salmon shines through.  I eat these cold, on a big bed of lettuce for lunch or warmed up and on a toasted bun with some tarter sauce for a heartier spread.  I use what ever salmon is left over from dinner to make salmon cakes, then freeze them for lunches.  Sometime I make extra salmon when we are grilling just so I have these ready to grab from the freezer in the mornings.

Salmon Cakes
I tried hard to keep track of what I did when I made these.  Remember, like meatloaf, it doesn't have to be exactly the same every time.
1 cup cooked salmon,  broken into small pieces (you can use a 7 oz can of salmon and adjust as needed)
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 c. breadcrumbs
2 egg whites

Heat oven to 350ºF.  Place cookie sheet in oven to heat.
Saute onions until soft.  Add onions, mustard, breadcrumbs and egg whites to salmon.  Mix well.  Using a 1/2 cup or an ice-cream scoop, scoop out salmon mixture and form into patties. Remove cookie sheet from oven, spray with non-stick spray. Place patties on cookie sheet and place in oven.  Bake for 10 minutes, turn patties over and bake 5 more minutes.

August 27, 2012     Daylight  15 hours, 7 minutes, 8 seconds     Temp. 53ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.