Friday, January 31, 2020

Lemon Chicken


We have gotten into a bad habit.  Dave and I are still not feeling very well, so we have been binge watching Netflix every night after dinner...o.k. some nights we have eaten dinner in front of the t.v.  I hate that habit, and I am getting nothing done around the house.

But sit and watch t.v. is what we are doing. We have made it through all episodes of The Ranch, 4 seasons of Outlander, one season of Virgin River, 4 seasons of The Great British Bake-Off, and we Started The Witcher a couple nights ago.

Well, we have a problem with The Witcher.  My son told me I could watch it, but there is a lot of blood and monsters, and witches, and last night I had bad dreams and woke my husband up 4 times (his report, but I don't think it was really 4 times...maybe once or twice).  But now The Witcher is definitely off our watch list.  I'll never know if Yennefer and the Witcher meet and what happens to Ciri...
So, tonight I have a new plan.  We'll have dinner and watch a program from our saved series on regular t.v.  I know, not really different, but at least we can't automatically go on to the next episode like on Netflix.

And I'll be making this lemon chicken.  It is perfect for dinner, it's quick, so you can get to the tv faster, it's lemony and delicious. I crave lemon this time of year, and it fills that need for Chinese food, so hard to get on a keto or low carb diet.  This whips up in about 15 minutes.



Lemon Chicken

2 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup crushed pork rinds
oil for frying
1 tsp. lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon, about 1/3 cup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. powdered Swerve, or desired sweetener
1/4-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, depending on desired thickness
sesame seeds, optional

Set up breading station, one bowl with coconut flour, one bowl with beaten egg, one bowl with parmesan and pork rinds mixed.  Salt chicken, dip each piece in coconut flour, egg, then in pork rind mixture, pressing to adhere crumbs.  Fry in oil until chicken is cooked through and breading is crisp.  Remove to paper towel lined plate and keep warm while making sauce.

In a small saucepan mix lemon zest, lemon juice, chicken broth and sweetener.  Bring to a boil.  Sprinkle 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum over and whisk in until thickened, add more xanthan gum if thicker sauce is desired.  Pour sauce over chicken and top with sesame seeds.

Serve over steamed cabbage, zoodles, or cauliflower rice.

5 years ago:  Banana Mug Cake and Tough Decisions
7 years ago:  Vodka Martini for a Hard Week

January 31, 2020  Sunrise 9:40 am  Sunset 4:29 pm  Temp. H -16/ L -21°F



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.