Friday, March 27, 2020

The New Life as We Know It and Raspberry Vodka Fizz


I've been working from home for about two weeks now.  I've gotten into a nice routine, with the exception of needing to move more.  When I went in to the office, I would walk.  At 10:00 and 2:00 I would walk for about 10 minutes, outside when it is warm and inside when it is cold.  I don't do that at home, so my goal for next week it to get on my bike for 10 minutes at 10:00 and at 2:00.  What I have been doing is cleaning.  I've taken my 10 and 2 break and spent 10 minutes cleaning something.  My house has never been more organized and clean....ever!  I have even started a big garage sale pile, if we ever get to do something like that again.

A couple things I've been doing on the daily, to help keep my sanity;
1)getting up and going to bed at my regular times
2) Making meditation a priority in the morning
3) turning off the news after a specified time
4)getting dressed and "going" to work like normal (even though "going' to work is in my home office now
5)eating breakfast and lunch away from my desk while visiting with Dave, that way we don't interrupt each other constantly during the day
6) I have a checklist I copied off a friend's facebook post and that has really seemed to help

Can you tell I like checklist?

Here it is, in case it will be helpful for you:
1) Who am I checking in on or connecting with today?
2) What expectations for normal am I letting go of today?
3) How am I getting outside today?
4) How am I moving my body today?
5) How am I expressing my creativity today?
6) What type of self care am I practicing today?
7) What am I grateful for today?

There are a couple things I still need to work on, but it does help to run down that list.

Another thing I'm doing is "leaving" work, but turning the office light off, and having a drink at 5:00.  I have relaxed the only-one-adult-beverage-a-week rule, but most nights it really is all about the pretty glass and a fun drink in a pretty glass helps my mood.

This week I made a Raspberry Vodka fizz.  The raspberry simple syrup is delicious and a great addition to an adult beverage or some sparkling water to give it a little somethin', somethin'.  I'm glad I relaxed the one drink rule because this is so good!

Raspberry Vodka Fizz
for raspberry simple syrup:

2 cups water
2 cups raspberries
1 cup Swerve, or sweetener of choice

In a medium saucepan stir water, raspberries and sweetener together.  Bring to a boil, mash the berries and remove from heat.  Place in a container and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.  Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds.  Place simple syrup in refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze. (I divided mine into three containers and froze two and have one in the fridge).


for each drink:

1 shot vodka
2 shots raspberry simple syrup
juice from 1/2 lemon
sparkling water

In a shaker filled with ice, add vodka, simple syrup and lemon juice.  Shake until very cold.  Strain into glass and top with sparkling water.  Enjoy

1 year ago:    Rum Chata Black Russians
7 years ago:  Tequila Sorbet

March 27, 2020  Sunrise 7:23 am  Sunset 8:30 pm  Temp. H 12/L -5°F



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.