Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Accidental Cracker

Because I made bread for Dave, I was thinking I could use some too.  I used to make a seed bread that I really loved and ran across a recipe for a keto seed bread I thought might be good.  I gathered the ingredients, mixed everything together and baked it.  The loaf came out dense, damp and dull.  I was so disappointed and I don't know what I did wrong.  I read through the comments from the recipe and saw that it was a 50/50 response as to wether people felt successful or not, so I figured I'd try it again.  I measured carefully, mixed, baked and....yuck.

So now I had two very expensive bricks.  Nuts and seeds are not cheap and I just wasted a lot of them.  I decided to cut the "bread", bake it again, kind of like biscotti are twice baked, and make some crackers.  I cut the loaves, baked low and slow, and it worked perfectly.  They are crisp, crunchy and perfect for cream cheese and jam, garlic herb cheese, or plain.  I love cheese crackers and salami for lunch and these are great just for that.  This is one baking mistake I'm glad I made.



Seed Crackers
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, pepitas
1 cup ground psyllium husks
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease a loaf pan, set aside.
In a large bowl mix sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, psyllium husks and coconut flour.  Place half the mixture in a food processor or grinder and grind until a rough flour-like consistency is achieved.  Place flour back in bowl with whole seeds.  Add baking powder, salt, butter, eggs and warm water, mix well.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth top.  Bake for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 250°F. Let loaf cool slightly.  Slice into 18-20 thin pieces and place on a sheet tray with a wire rack to allow air flow across the top and bottom of the crackers.  Bake for 20 minutes, turning about half way through.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Crackers crisp as they cool.
Enjoy with your favorite toppings.

April 30, 2020   Sunrise 5:18 am  Sunset 10:19 pm  Temp. H 44/ L 26°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.