Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Home Made Toaster Pastries

When I was a kid, getting a box of Pop tarts was a big treat.  I loved the smell of the sugar when you opened the package, the hot toasty pastry when it came out of the toaster and the warm jam in the middle and the sugary frosting on the top.  As a kid, it was pure heaven. So, you can imagine my delight when I found these Further Food sugar free, grain free toaster pastries!
Close to my childhood memory, if it is toasted.
While they have some ingredients I wouldn't normally eat, they are a nice weekend treat, until I had them a couple days in a row with some unpleasant side effects. I re-read the ingredients and there is was, hiding about half way down...Allulose.  I don't tolerate Allulose so I was determined to find a substitute.  I've come pretty close with these, a warm toasty pastry, jam oozing from under the crust, I just need some frosting to complete these home made toaster pastries.

The pastry came from the blog Gnom-Gnom.  I added two tablespoons of Swerve to sweeten it up.  The jam came from my freezer.  Together, they were a warm delicious treat on a cold morning.  I warm them up in my air fryer, they are a little too delicate for the toaster, I'll keep working on them to see if I can make a pastry sturdy enough to pop in the toaster.  I'll just keep eating my practice batches.

Home Made Toaster Pastries
1 batch Gnom-Gnom's Pastry with 2 Tbsp. granulated Swerve added to the dry ingredients
1/2 cup sugar free jam of choice, I used this strawberry jam
1 egg, beaten for egg wash

Make pastry according to directions.  Press into a rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Roll pastry to 1/8" thick, keeping it in a rectangle as much as possible.  Trim edges and press dough together to make pastry a rectangle.  Cut into 16 pieces.  Place 8 pieces of the pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Press a small indention into bottom with a spoon.  Put about 1 Tbsp. of jam in indention.  Cover with another piece of pastry and press together.  Us a fork to crimp edges.  Freeze for about 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Beat 1 egg with a teaspoon of water.  Remove pastries from freezer.  Brush with egg wash and then cut vents into top of each.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.

April 14, 2020   Sunrise 6:17am  Sunset 9:27pm  Temp H 45/ L 26°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.