Thursday, August 2, 2018

Lemon Curd Ice Cream and The Mad Dash


Try Allulose they said, it will keep your ice cream softer, they said.  So I ordered some from Amazon.  I spent about $20.00 for 16 oz.  I figured I would use it sparingly so I could splurge for a softer consistency in my ice cream (keto ice cream freezes really hard).  I was craving something lemon so I made a delicious lemon curd using my favorite sweetener, Swerve, and mixed it with some heavy cream and Allulose and poured it into my ice cream maker and waited for the magic to happen.

It has been really hot in Fairbanks, getting into the high 80's and even 91 one day.  That is hot for Alaska standards, and my poor Alaska born husband has been melting.  I've been warm and enjoying the only days of the year I can sit outside without a sweater.  This is the perfect weather for ice cream and I have seen several delicious looking ice cream recipes on the Keto blogs I read.  A couple different blogs mentioned Allulose and how it keeps ice cream a little softer and doesn't raise your blood sugar, so I decided to try it myself.  I ordered it and waited for it to arrive before I made a new batch of ice cream.

Well, it was a hot afternoon, Dave mowed the lawn and tried not to dissolve into a puddle, I started cleaning up the flower beds because August could mean snow and I have a lot (I mean a lot) of flower beds to clean up.  We were both hot, tired, and I didn't want to cook.
"What restaurant in Fairbanks has air conditioning?" I asked Dave.  (Really, that is a thing because how often do you need air conditioning in Fairbanks.)  He mentioned a couple and we decided to head out to an air conditioned restaurant after he finished mowing the back yard.  I had some time so I went inside and made this delicious lemon curd ice cream, churned it, scooped it into single servings in a muffin pan (because keto ice cream is usually so hard I can't scoop it, and it keeps me to one serving instead of half the container).  I put a scoop in this pretty green dish, took a couple pictures and then ate it.  Yes, I ate my ice cream before dinner and it was delicious.  I was thinking I would have another scoop after dinner!

Off we went to the restaurant, ordered dinner, a friend walked in and joined us so we had a nice dinner and a nice visit...and then...

My stomach started to hurt.  I had eaten a couple of Dave's fries and I asked if they were breaded?  Yep, o.k.  I knew I would have a stomach ache from what ever wheat was on those few fries, but I've had wheat before and it isn't too bad.  Then a cramp... hmm, what had I eaten that would do this?  Not the salad or the steak I just ate.  Maybe because I work hard to stay away from wheat I'm having a big reaction?

Then a grumble, a cramp, and...we have to go home, NOW.  I'm clenching, we pay the bill, say good-bye to our friend and make a dash for the car (as much of a dash as you can make clenching your cheeks together tightly).  I rush home, run right into the bathroom and sit there, with the fan on and my eyes watering, for a good 20 minutes.

All this time I'm thinking, what did I eat?  Could the chicken I had at lunch have done this to me? Oh my, how can that smell come out of me?  I wonder if I got a little bug? Oh, lava, hot lava, hot lava - do we have any ice cubes?    Did I drink too much champagne the last couple of days?  Oh, the crampage....please stop.

Well, I finally finished and crawled into bed, convinced I had the flu or something.

Then, this morning, as I'm drinking my coffee, I come across a post from Keto Connect about sweeteners so I watch the one they do about Allulose and both of them mention that it had a very laxative effect on them.  OH MY GOODNESS, my beautiful delicious ice cream was the reason.  I have 11 more servings of it in my freezer and I don't dare try it again - or do I?

Well, I think the safe thing will be to make this ice cream again, only using Swerve.  I can offer this to my keto neighbor and maybe it won't affect them as bad as it affected me.  I am really bummed because there is a marshmallow recipe I also wanted to try, but it really isn't worth it.

So, Allulose might be a great sweetener for you, and I have a bag I paid $20.00 for that has about 1/3 cup missing, I'll send it to anyone who wants it, or maybe I'll save it for one day when I'm constipated, that will move things along!


Lemon Curd Ice Cream

for the lemon curd
4 eggs
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup confectioners Swerve
2 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, cubed

for the ice-cream
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners Swerve (for the love of God, be careful with Allulose)
2 Tbsp. vodka, optional (helps with consistency and vodka!)


For the curd:
In a double boiler, over simmering water, mix eggs, lemon juice, confectioners Swerve, lemon zest and salt. Whisk until mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes.  Remove from heat, add butter and let sit for a couple minutes for butter to melt.  Whisk butter into mixture.  Cover with cling wrap - laying the cling wrap on top of the curd so a skin doesn't form.  Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

For the ice cream
Mix heavy cream, swerve, vodka and cold lemon curd.  Pour into ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.  Freeze in individual portions or transfer to container and freeze for 1-2 hours.  Let sit at room temperature about 15 minutes to aid in scooping.

2 years ago:  The REAL Grapenut Bread and Things I do for my Dad
3 years ago:  Fish On!
5 years ago:  Rhubarb Sauce for My Mom

August 2, 2018   Sunrise 4:54  Sunset 10:56  Temp. H 68/ L 53°F



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.