Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Rhubarb Crumble and the Windfall

I log into Facebook everyday for work.  We post about Alaska and teaching in Alaska, and I usually scroll down my home page as I drink my coffee in the morning. I saw this funny post, it said something like "I've discovered the secret to making a million dollars and I'm working on a guide.  The first million people to send me a dollar will get a copy." I shared it and moved on.

About a week later, I got some mail with my sister in law's return address in the corner.  I figured it was a note from her since I had ordered some flowers from all of us for a family event.  I laughed out loud for a good 5 minutes when I opened it.  My brother in law saw the silly post and sent me this note and $1.
You gotta love relatives with a good sense of humor.
Well, Dave and I have been spending lots of time in the yard, starting to get things buttoned up for the winter.  After my hand surgery I won't be very helpful for a while, then it is moose season and then it is my travel season and snow can come any day now.  One of the things we did was pull all the rhubarb.

I have a giant rhubarb plant that produces way more than I can use.  I take it to work, I give it to friends, I freeze more than I'll use all winter.  I took a big batch into work along with this sugar-free rhubarb crumble.  I figured if something delicious was next to the giant basket, more people would be inspired to take some.

I have enough in my freezer to make this a dozen times this winter, it was so good, I'm wondering if I have enough.


Keto Rhubarb Crisp

For Crumble
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup Swerve, or sweetener of choice

For Fruit Filling
4 cups rhubarb, sliced
1 cup strawberries or raspberries
1/3-1/2 cup Swerve, or sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, optional

Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Butter or spray a 9" pie plate, or an 8x8 baking pan.  

Make fruit filling: combine rhubarb, strawberries, sweetener and xanthan gum (if using).  Mix well and pour into pie plate, spreading evenly.

Make crumble: mix almond flour, coconut, melted butter and sweetener.  Mix until well incorporated and crumbly.  Sprinkle over the fruit filling.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until rhubarb is soft and topping is richly browned.  
Serves 8

187 calories, 16 g. fat, 8 g. carbs, 4 g. fiber, 4 g. protein (I subtract the sugar alcohol before posting carbs.)

4 years ago:  Nutella Pillows

August 21, 2018   Sunrise 5:57am  Sunset 9:48 pm  Temp H 65/L 47°

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.