Monday, August 6, 2018

Sausage and Egg Cups for Breakfast on the Go

In the never ending whack-a-mole game of "What body part of Toni's is going to crap out next" the next chapter is carpal tunnel syndrome.  I've been experiencing numbness in my hand that has crept up into my arm.  I figured it was more from the degenerative disc issue I had surgery for 9 years ago.  I put up with it, until I couldn't.  It was waking me up at night and I had to try to sit up to sleep.  I figured it was time to see the dr. and get this taken care of.

The great news is that it wasn't degenerative disc, it was only carpal tunnel.  I was pretty excited about that.  I'll have surgery in August and be ready for travel season starting in September.  The doc said we would do the procedure on a Friday and I could go back to work on Monday, easy peasy. 

Well, I know that everything should be that easy, but I also know myself and my body.  So, I'm trying to do a few things to prepare so Dave isn't stuck with everything.  I'm making a batch of keto chili and I'll freeze it in individual containers for a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner for Dave and myself and I'm making these egg cups. 

Now I am one who can eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day for a week or two, as long as I have something different for dinner and a sweet treat at the end of the day (or in the middle of the day).  So having a dozen egg cups ready to microwave will make the 10 days I have stitches easier when my right hand is stuck in a brace.  And yes, I am right handed.
This really isn't a recipe, it's more of an idea of how to do an easy, to-go breakfast.  I can eat these cold or warmed up in the microwave.  I also like my egg yolks hard, but if you like them soft, just cook a little less.  I also used our moose sausage but any ground sausage would do.  If you like breakfast sausage-use that, if you like spicy Italian sausage - go for it.  These are easy to individualize.  I like putting a squirt of spicy brown mustard in the sausage cup before I add the egg, you could add tabasco or sriracha.  You can also add what every cheese your want, or not.  I happened to add a little parmesan on these.
After they are cooked and cooled a little, I run a knife around the edge of the muffin pan to release them and then put them in individual containers for the freezer.  Then I can just grab one and throw it in my lunchbox for breakfast at work.  They reheat really nicely in the microwave.
Toppings are also easy to individualize.  I happen to really like guac and salsa on mine, but have melted cheese on them when I warm them up.  So these will be on my menu for post surgery easy breakfasts.  These would be great to make a couple batches and have them on hand for quick breakfasts in the mornings if you have kids headed back to school soon.  

And feel sorry for Dave, because my God, this doctor won't give me a robot body either.

Sausage and Egg Cups
Coconut oil to grease muffin pan
24 oz. ground sausage 
12 eggs
salt and pepper

filling options: (keep in mind you won't have a lot of room)
spicy brown mustard
hot sauce
cheese of choice

topping options:
avocado or guacamole
salsa
cheese
bacon bits
hollandaise sauce

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease muffin pan well, really well as the egg cups tend to stick.  
Divide sausage into 2 oz. pieces (I use a scale for this).  Flatten with your hands and form into cups in the muffin pans, going all the way up the sides of the muffin cups.  Bake for 10 minutes.
Drain the fat from the cups (I put a cooling rack over the top and turn the whole thing upside down over the sink).
Add any fillings you want and then crack one egg into each cup.  Top with salt and pepper.  Return to oven and cook until yolk is done to your liking.
Remove from oven and let cool in muffin tins about 5 minutes.  Run a knife around the edges to help release the eggs.  Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for 5 days or freeze.

2 years ago:   Saving a Life
3 years ago:   Talkeetna Zip Line

August 6, 2018   Sunrise 5:08 am  Sunset 10:42 pm   Temp. H 59/L 50°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.