Monday, June 1, 2020

Bake a Batch for Breadline Challenge


I do know how lucky I am.  I am home, healthy and safe. I can work from home, I have a full freezer, refrigerator and pantry.  My husband is still working.  My biggest complaint is the noisy dogs and the fact my pants are getting tight.  I know I am lucky.

I also know some people in my community are not as lucky.  Because of that, I contribute to our local food bank every year.   Our family donates to other organizations that take care of homeless youth, hungry children and families, and the local homeless shelter.  And I know those organizations are spread pretty thin right now.  I decided I can do just a little more.  I heard on the news our local soup kitchen, Stone Soup, was looking for donations because of the extra people they are needing to feed due to joblessness.  One thing the newscaster said was they needed home baked cookies.  Well, I can bake cookies.

So I have challenged myself to make 2 batches of cookies a week for the next 10 weeks.  That takes me to the end of July.  I started last week with chocolate chip cookies and a big pan of Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars.

I've been cruising Pinterest to find cookie bars, I figure I'll make a drop cookie and a bar cookie each week.  I have a couple that are tried and true, but unless I bake the same 3 bar type cookies over and over I need some new material.  If you have a favorite bar cookie, let me know and I'll add it to my "to bake" list.

Now the challenge is on.  I challenge you to bake a batch for your soup kitchen, homeless shelter or food bank.  Let's work together to make our communities a little sweeter.

2 years ago:  Grandpa's Truck
5 years ago:  Chili Garlic Snack Mix
7 years ago:  Key Lime Flan

June 1, 2020  Sunset 12:06 am  Sunrise 3:30 am  Temp. H 60/ L 46°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.