Friday, September 4, 2020

Brisket


When we were with Gman  and his people last month, my son made the best brisket I've ever had.  He smoked it for something like 14 hours.  The meat was tender and juicy, the smoke level was perfect, the bark was delicious and just crusty enough...it was so good.  I wanted to try my hand at it so I went and bought a 12 lb. brisket.  But after I talked to him, and watched the video he suggested, I realized I couldn't do it because I don't have a smoker, or a grill that would work for this.  So, I decided to punt and do it a different way.

I used my oven for the low and slow part 250° for 8 hours, then on the grill, with smoke, for 1 hour; slathering it with sauce every 15-20 minutes to build a bark of sorts.

My brisket was also delicious.  We all enjoyed it, but it wasn't the same as my son's.  We are going to go visit in December, I hope he will make it for us again.

Oven Brisket

10-12 lbs. brisket, trimmed
1/2 cup yellow mustard
salt
pepper
garlic powder
1 bottle beer, lager
1 cup apple juice
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, we used this

other:
aluminum foil
wood chips or pellets for smoking

THE NIGHT BEFORE! (I'm not yelling, just don't forget this step.)
Place trimmed brisket in large roasting pan, I used a disposable aluminum pan.  Rub 1/2 the yellow mustard on each side and get the edges.  Generously sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over all sides of the brisket.  Cover with cling wrap and place in fridge overnight.

Remove brisket from refrigerator about 45 minutes before you want to put it in the oven.

Preheat oven to 250°F.

Pour beer and apple juice in pan with brisket, cover tightly with aluminum foil.  Place in oven and bake for 6-8 hours, until internal temp. is 165°F.  Remove from oven, remove brisket from pan and place of medium-hot grill.  Add aluminum foil pouch with wood chips or pellets for smoking, according to manufacturers directions (We used charcoal, and placed the wood chip package on the briquettes to smoke).  Smoke for 1 hour, basting with sauce every 15-20 minutes.  Remove from grill and let rest 15-20 minutes.  Slice against the grain and serve.

1 year ago:    The Surprise Cucumber Harvest
3 years ago:  The 9-1-1 Call and Snicker Bar Cookies
5 years ago:  Shotgun Wedding Soup and Waiting on the Mouse
7 years ago:  Canning Tomatoes

September 4, 2020  Sunrise 6:42 am  Sunset 8:45pm  Temp. H55/ L 39°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.