Friday, July 20, 2012

Barbecue Sauce


I have made this sauce for years.  Everyone would ask for it but I wouldn't share it, I was going through my stingy phase.  But, I would make batches and give as gifts.  Pretty soon everyone would ask for a batch for their special occasions.  My brother in law loved the sauce and he would request it for all kinds of meats, ribs, chicken, flank steak, then he would come over for dinner and look through the garbage can to see if he could figure out the ingredients for the sauce!
Finally, about 5 years later, I told him his retirement gift would be the sauce recipe.  On the day of his retirement picnic, he came over and I put the magazine I got the recipe from in front of him.  He just laughed and said by this time he would just come over and eat it at our house.  So, after years of hoarding this recipe I'm going to share...and ask forgiveness of all my friends who asked for the recipe and I said no.  I didn't make it up (I never said I did) and it is so good, once you try it you will make it over and over.

Barbecue Sauce
adapted from Simply Perfect grilling 2005

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Vidalia onion or other sweet onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 10 oz. jar apricot spreadable fruit
1 12 oz. jar chili sauce
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. molasses
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.  Add onion; cover and cook for 13-15 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.  Uncover; cook and stir ovr medium-igh heat for 3 to 5 minutes more until onion is golden.

Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds more.  Stir in apricot spreadable fruit, chili sauce, mustard, vinegar, molasses and worcestershire sauce.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 20 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.  Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.  Makes about 3 cups.

Tips:
The original recipe called for peach simply fruit, I can't find that in Fairbanks so I use apricot.  Using peach jelly or jam (with all the added sugar) makes it too sweet for me.

I have thought about trying fresh peaches and cooking them down, but have never gotten around to it, so if you try it let me know how it turns out.

I have put this on everything from beef, pork, chicken, and salmon.  I didn't like it on salmon though.

I often make a double batch and freeze half of it so I always have some on hand.  We seldom buy barbecue sauce from the store (unless I've been lazy).

July 20, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.