Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Strawberry Upside Down Cake

Strawberries, again...I just can't get enough.  I eat so many strawberries this time of year my husband just rolls his eyes when I pull another flat out of the car after a trip to our box store. 
This is a cheater cake...box mix, box of jello, marshmallows and it is so good.  It is rich and moist with the strawberries so sweet on the top (bottom).  You could use your favorite white cake recipe if you are a purist. 
I made this, ate two pieces and took it right to work, where I ate three more pieces.  It is that good.



Strawberry Upside-Down Cake
adapted from this pin I found on Pinterest
1 pint strawberries, cut up
1 6oz. box of strawberry jello (the big box)
3 cups of mini marshmallows (I used a left over bag of bunny marshmallows from Easter)
1 white cake mix, mixed as directed on the package

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Spray 9X13 pan with cooking spray.  Cut up strawberries and place in bottom of pan.  Covering bottom evenly.  Sprinkle dry gelatin over strawberries, then top with marshmallows.
Mix cake mix as directed on box and spread over marshmallows.  Bake for 40-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for about 15 minutes.  Run a knife around edge of pan and invert cake onto serving dish (or in my case, a bigger pan, I didn't have a serving dish big enough).

Serve warm or cold with a dollop of whipped cream.

Tips:
I cut the cake and then put it back in the 9x13 inch pan, after I washed it, to store the cake in the fridge and to take it to work. 

I used the bunny shaped marshmallows left over from Easter to use them up.  I used the whole bag (minus the FEW I ate) and it worked just fine.  You could cut up big marshmallows and use those if that is what you had.

This is a very moist cake.  It was a big hit at my office.

July 11  , 2012     Daylight  20 hours, 28 minutes     Current Temp.  58 ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.