Thursday, July 5, 2012

Low Calorie Root Beer Float Pie


 I remember being a kid (yes, I can remember that long back) and getting so excited for dessert (some things never change).  In the summer we would have something cold to counteract the heat. We would drive the 30 minutes to Dodge City to the A&W drive in.  We would order root beer floats.  The car hops would bring the frosty mugs, wet with condensations and the cold root beer-ice cream foam sliding down the side. They would hang the tray on the driver's door and we would wiggle with anticipation as money was exchanged and the floats would get passed to the back seat, one at a time.   The joy of the bubbly root beer and the cold and creamy ice cream was always a special treat.

One year my dad decided he would make root beer.  It was not quite the success he was hoping for.  The root beer was bitter and it didn't matter how cold you got it, you just couldn't choke it down (sorry Dad).

Last year, when Dave and I went to Kansas for my niece's graduation, we found the A&W drive up was long gone (but Sonic and cheesy tator-tots are still there...oh, I digress) but the saloon at Boot Hill still serves sarsaparilla which tastes a lot like A&W root beer (or maybe it is Safeway Select?).
So, when I saw this recipe for Root Beer Float Pie, I brought all these memories flooding back.  It was a good trip down memory lane.  And, this being Pie Summer I thought this was a wonderful recipe to share with you. 

I made this pie, ate a piece and made my husband take the rest of the pie across the street to the little boys.  You know, there are just some foods I can't be trusted with.

According to Calorie Counter, each piece of pie is about 165 calories (that is if I entered everything correctly).  It is cool and creamy, close your eyes and remember the joys of a root beer float on a hot day.

Rootbeer Float Pie
adapted from Healthy Cooking
1 graham cracker pie crust, use this crust or purchase one
1 cup diet root beer
1 package vanilla sugar free instant pudding
1 container fat free cool whip
8 maraschino cherries, optional

Make graham cracker pie crust and cool completely, or open the package for a store bought one (I'm not judging).
Mix 1 cup diet root beer with instant pudding, mix well for 2 minutes, then let sit for 5 minutes until soft set.
Take 1/2 cup cool whip from container and save for later.  Take half of the cool whip that is left and fold it into the pudding mixture.  Pour into crust and smooth top.  Top with remaining cool whip.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Use saved 1/2 cup of cool whip to decorate the top of the pie.  Top with maraschino cherries if desired.
Makes 8 servings

July 5, 2012     Daylight 21 hours, 3  minutes     Current Temp.  67ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.