Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Cucumber Harvest


I met a friend for coffee and she gifted me two cucumbers and some tomatoes from her greenhouse.  I love cucumbers and told her how I would enjoy them for my lunch.  Well, that reminded me that my dad did a great job watering my greenhouse all summer, and while we did bring in some tomatoes, we never had any cucumbers.  I guessed they just didn't grow that much.

So, with the fresh cucumbers on my brain, I went out to my greenhouse to cut back some of the cucumber plants that hadn't been producing and make that my bag of garden I have to collect every day from now until the garden is put away.  I started hacking away at the overgrown vines, I hadn't pruned them all summer, and began to find hidden cucumbers.  After I cut about 6, I ran inside to grab a basket to gather the rest.  I came up with this...
So now I have more cucumbers than I know what to do with!  Dave doesn't eat cucumbers!  I decided I would try some dill relish, we might eat a jar a year, and maybe some dill chips, but English cucumbers aren't the best for pickles.  I posted this picture on my Facebook page and my very smart Seattle niece suggested antioxidant water. I drink a lot of water everyday, I have a pitcher on my desk I fill in the morning and have empty before the end of the day.  I could bring the  ingredients and make it here at work.  So I tried it.




Antioxidant Water
According to Beth

Cucumber slices
lemon slices
mint leaves
pinch of salt

Put all ingredients in a pitcher with cold water.  Enjoy.


1 year ago:    Feeling Blue and Blueberry Scones
3 years ago:  Gin and Tonic
5 years ago:  Zucchini Fries for Zucchini Season

September 4, 2019  Sunrise 6:39 am  Sunset 8:37 pm   Temp H 64/L 46°F

2 comments:

  1. I need help with my tomatoes and cucumbers in how big of a garden I should make. I have about 48 total containers which is about half each with a wild card of 6 hot peppers that will hopefully sprout soon. What are the dimensions of the garden I should build?

    Thanks,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your tomatoes and cucumbers John, I plant mine in a greenhouse. I guess you could google planting conditions for your part of the country. Let me know how you do!

      Delete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.